free website stats program Wondering about CB's | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wondering about CB's

:yahoo For me riding is great therapy and I can-not imagine riding all day with earphones and chatter distracting me from the enjoyment of the Countryside, wind in my face and the occasional wisper in my ear from my wife about what a beautiful ride or what a beautiful day it is.:drunk

When I see folks riding on a hot day with all the gear,chatting away on their communication system I often wonder what riding must be like for them?

For us its that Country air, Mtns. and the Scenery of rural America!:14:

I can chat on the phone at home anytime, but I live for that nice day out in the Mtns. riding with my wife on the back enjoying every moment we have together.:small3d026:
I'll be 72 in a couple of wks. and we still get to ride about 10,000 mi. a yr. on average and about 85% of that is on country roads.

:s Yep, for me winding roads, country air and a big grin is just about all it takes ta make me a very happy "Ole Dawg" :D

I've come to really appreciate and enjoy the communication.Rode most of my life without any comm and it was fine. Now, with the Ultra, my wife and I can talk if necessary ( we don't chat away...will go hours without a word) plus, she's my second pair of eyes and can hip me to possible trouble. With the CB, I have it on but the SQ is way up so, I rarely hear anything unless my riding buddy has a word to say. Again, for the same reasons of possible trouble, we can communicate it easily. For me, the comm is something I wouldn't want to be without again. That said, if there were chatter and non-necessary communication, I'd turn it way down or off.

Another useful tool on a big cruiser. Whether leading the pack or pulling sweep, communication is a key factor to getting everybody to the destanation and home in a safe manor. Did we have a break down, a flat tire, maybe a crash in need of emergency help. Use mine all the time, doesn't mean ya gotta be on it all the time...

We use them in our club. The RC and Tail gunner each have one. On club rides is the only time I use mine.

On the other hand when we took out Ca. trip a few month ago, a friend met us in Durango and rode us into Denver.

He asked us to hook up our CB's so he could tell us about different areas we were going thru.

That gave the trip a whole new aspect. Sorta like a tour bus but on two wheels. Very informative.

Ok thanks for the input.Different strokes for different folks I guess.I don't wear my headset unless the wife is with me or I'm in a group. As far as chatter on the CB , tighten the squelch and you'll hardly ever hear anyone ,unless they are riding right beside you. I don't recall ever turning the stereo off ,and a lot of times its on Limbaugh or Hannity so maybe I'm addicted to chatter LOL.

I use to use CBs on my other rides,I had a problem of going a little too fast. It was used most of the time just to get the (Smokie) reports. In some areas you couldn't talk anyway, some wise guy was playing his radio over the CB, or just a bunck of noise I didn't want to hear.

Even though I don't have a CB on my bike, I would rather just ride and not have the added distraction of trying to talk to someone.

got back tues. from a 6 day trip to niagara falls, ont. as a road captain, i feel the radio puts me in direct contact w/ my sweep. we used radios for the whole trip and were able to 1) keep the group together and tightly when needed and 2) get the group off the road quickly when a member had a flat that was running on tire slime. we were broken up at customs at the peace bridge and had a group reunion on u s 219 heading south. radios and intercoms on a trip are a wonderful tool. i always use hand signals as well as radio but i can get my sweep in a blocking position for a lane change faster by cb than by hand signals. just mho.

I love mine on the LTD. When I bought the RK I figured I didn't need all those distractions, music, talking, etc. I ride a lot with the local chapter and am not a good enough rider IMHO to be a road captain yet so I just "fall in" where there is an opening in any group of riders. When I had the speakers on and could hear the guys talking about hazards up ahead I got hooked. I installed the ear speakers and mic but I stay off talking and just listen unless it's just a ride with a couple of friends and then we comment about hazards and the occasional cool bike, cage, or hottie at the beach. I know, no one misses seeing that stuff anyway. But I still like the quiet rumble with no talking or music on the road king too. It's good to have choices. And, you can turn off the CB anytime you want.

Back