free website stats program Wiring New Mirrors? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wiring New Mirrors?

The HD dealer had a discount ride today and I killed em, and my wallet... and the wife will no doubt kill me later but.... anyway I picked these up today for my wide glide and plan on doing this tomorrow. :newsmile048:

I picked these up from the dealer yesterday, only cuz they had a discount ride and i scored %60 percent off!! anybody have an pics of the finished product, tips etc? lookin on here to see if there a how to on the tank removal.. any tips? Thanks

yup, thats me the guy that posted twice about the same info...:small3d023:
Ill get you yet mr.bud light

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Murph76 to HDTimeline and really looking forward to your posts (as is Dr.Dolittle regarding that mirror with the integral running lights (LEDs). Just be careful to use the copper penny under the brake lever (to prevent damaging the plastic momentary brake light switch inside).

Be very careful not to pinch wires, if you have a helper, they can be a "spotter" so you do not lose small parts. Make sure you have the service manual (AND the detailed instructions, if not the HD dealer can print the Installation and Maintenence Service Note on it. Take pictures if you can, use an egg carton or plastic compartmented box to sort parts, just to help you remember where everything goes...

Well, I have been delayed in installing these, who would have ever thought that a wife, three kids and dog would do that. lol, love em all..

I do regret not having pictures to share of the install, camera was with the wife in ohio. From start to finish was about 5hrs, as i was creeping being this was the first work i had ever done on a bike, plus being electrical and ALOT of reading in the manual, that includes the relocating the signals, hind site is 20/20 and a fairly simple job, that looks killer at night. All in all not to bad tho, I did keep the stock signals and relocated them to the forks. It would be possible to use the lights w/o them tho, with just simple rewiring of the harness. I even asked the dealer and they said they did it on an 06. I read in an earlier post about needing the harley crimping tool, I didnt need it, crimping with a regular crimper or some needle nose will work just fine. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL THE WIRES RAN PRIOR TO PUTTING TOGETHER THE CONNECTORS on the y harness, other wise youll end up needing it!! you have to remove the service loop from under the seat and push it up the back bone to get to the turn signal connectors, then pull it back down, that was prob the most difficult part, plus i left a lil to much slack on the mirror side of the wiring so gettin in all back in the frame and the service plug back in was a bit of a pain. Could easily cut 3hrs or more if i did it again.. Mark the wires for the right and left signals, i failed to do that, so I had to hook the electrical system back up, (my 9yr old assistant stood on the side of the scoot holding the dash as i hooked it all back up, lol) to check and sure enough hit my left signal and the right mirror started flashing, so mark em or check the system prior to complete reinstall. which really isnt that hard anyway.

Murph76, glad you got it sorted, thank you for your followup, others reading your post will follow your lead, and suggestions. And don't feel bad about your first foray working on your bike. Electronics, even in kit form is how many start off, and learning to be patient, mark or label wiring and bagging small parts until ready for use are all pluses. And your 9 yr old assistant was probably very happy to work with you...Everyone wins...I like that part the best at HDT! :D

Thanks HDFAN, it was nice job all the way thru to say the least. had both my boys helping out and that was truly the best part of it all. explaining the how and y things, and seeing there interest was pretty cool. although clean up time came and putting up the tools and POOF!!! lol, good time tho.. :D

Back