free website stats program Wiring New Mirrors? | Harley Davidson Forums

Wiring New Mirrors?

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
A post a day or so ago mentioned the limited visibility that the stock, fairing mounted mirrors on a Street Glide offer. I've got them adjusted the best I can and it's still using up about half the mirror looking at my hands and knuckles.

Started browsing around at some handlebar mounted mirrors and came across these:

Harley-Davidson USA | Accessories And Apparel | Genuine Motor Accessories

It says it will work with 2008 Touring models but this is the part that concerns me:

"The wiring is concealed in the housing and stem, and is easily connected to the Original Equipment wiring harness."

I'm definitely intimidated by any electrical work! Anyone done this mod yet? Is it as easy as they claim? Got any pictures of how it looks all finished? Did you remove the stock mirrors and plug the holes somehow or just leave them on?

My father-in-law just got these and I was trying to help him figure out out to wire them up on his Softail. Anyway, there is one wire that comes out of the mirror that connects up to the existing turn signals (Instructions say you can't remove them, although Hobbit's dealership did it and removed the original signals). Not sure what the implications are regarding US regulations and standards, if you have to keep the stock signals.

Beyond that one wire though you do have to lift the tank and install a Y-Connector under the tank to share the electrical load and such. As a result you do need the HD wire crimping tool. Seems like a bit of a pain. I wanted to put these on my Dyna, but not sure how much I want to take on, so I am waiting on my father-in-law to do his so he can come help me do mine :D

Hope that helps. You may want to email Zannotti too about them, they will probably send you the installation instructions then, to help you decide. They did this for me with the Wide Tire kit and were a great help.

Not sure about fitament overall, regarding on the street glide, I know the instructions had install for Softails, Dynas and Sportsters, but did not pay a whole lot of attenion, again if get the instructions from Zannotti that will help you out.

I have not personally installed them, only because I am happy with my current setup, but they are nice!

I would think the short answers to your questions are:

1) HD has the disclaimer statement for product liability issue AND wants their dealers to install, mainly precautionary by legal...especially if collateral damage occurs during or after installation.

2) HD recommends using the OEM turn signals as is, running these LED equipped mirrors is because the LEDs draw less current than incandescent bulb, so using them by themselves could cause the signal flasher/control to work improperly or produce error codes, once everthing is buttoned up. We would not want that would we?

BTW, just installed the OSRAM 80/100 H4 headlamp on my Sporty; one phillips screw/nut underneath and the deed was done in 5 minutes. The light...is dare I say "v-e-r-r-y illuminating" compared to the 55/60 stocker which was also an OSRAM Made in Germany bulb! Love good ol' Teutonic engineering! :D

I was watching a guy hooking them up a week or so ago, he was growling,
but I think he was growling more at the wiring inside the handle bars than the
installation itself.

I think the proper word here would be patience, and I doubt they would pass
any serious gov't inspection.

And 74, I read a lot about high power bulbs can make trouble for the wiring
in the headlights.. Did you change any of that ??
I want to change, cause 55/60 edit :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea bwalsh22 to see if you can get the install sheet, that would tell you if you wanted to tackle it or not. More lights to help cagers see you is always good too and they are Auxiliary Running Light and Directional not replacements for the stock lights.

Martin14,

1+ for patience as the number one thing besides your service manual to keep the "growling" at bay, when doing the mirrors or ANY electrical mods to prevent "collateral damage."

As for 80/100 headlamp replacement, no electrical problems and installation was quick. I was doing the PCH (a windy twisty coastal road), but pulling out of Santa Barbara it was getting dark, the OEM HD 55/60 bulb was terrible, so I decided a change was needed, because some of the roads were pitch black, with only an anemic light to avoid any road hazards.

Last edited:
Back