free website stats program Winter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Winter

for me being from the northe east Pa coal region, we usually have snow that last until what seems like april, i was fortunate this yea to ride into late november and one day in jan when it got up to high 50's, now we got about 3 feet of snow in the past 2 weeks.
last year, in feb, it got up to 60 a couple of days,....not looking good for 2010 though

Being Canadian and waiting for the spring to arrive we anticipate for those warm spring days to get the bike out. For 2009 I was riding up until mid November and in some years in the past we can ride again in early April. Canadian riding is like waiting for Thursday to have a drink or two.

Here in Ohio we spend a good deal of time conjouring up spells to make it snow in Florida during the winter months (he he he)
Seriously, I put the bike up when it gets too cold (somewhere below 40) and that seems like it is about time for the holiday gatherings. After the first of the year the calander seems to slow down as you know spring is just around the corner but you have to wait till it rains a couple of times to wash away the salt. Once the salt gets off the roads the wife and I are back out in the wind. I do ususlly get the bike cleaned up well and any little doo-dads bolted on.

You only missed Florida by 30 miles. We got a light dusting of snow here on the coast last Friday.....Thanks...Mattman...ha-ha-ha. It has been an unseasonably cold winter this year.

For me try to ride til first road salting then wait for spring and a couple rains to wash off the roads never know when thats going to happen. Winter a time for projects for the bike plus a real good cleaning and waxing.

Last ride for us is usually around Thanksgiving... when the temps drop below 40. Our last ride for 09 was December 1st. They stay parked until sometime in April or when the temps get up near 40 again... I'd take it out mid winter except I won't ride on salted/sanded roads.

Not nice, Ricardo !!! LOL. We can usually ride all year long here in S.E. NC. Not this year though. Will normally ride til it drops below 40 or so. But will usually get any number of days during winter that warm up and you can ride.

I live in Central Indiana. Since getting back into riding when I bought a new Roadking in Aug. 1996, there has not been a month (even in the winter) that I did not find a "window" where I could ride. Hence I have never taken a battery out of my machines in the winter. Keep them ready to go at all times. Now this year we are having, it looks to be, record amounts of snowfall :newsmile08: so it has not been very globally warmed around my place. Nutshell, I'm getting very anxious to get back to my normal life of riding most of the time, and using my machines for basic transportation/pleasure/trips/camping etc etc etc.

In the meantime this winter bike-wise I made some custom leather lowers for my crash-bars and now I'm making a custom seat. The theme being an old school look with fringe and other 1950's emblellishments.

Another interest of mine is Music Ministry at the local church my family belongs to. Hence applying my musical gifts to this. For nearly 5 years I have geen filling the bass chair in a Praise Band and Orchestra, after taking a 36 year break in playing music. Below I'm focusing on getting my chops up to speed on this Double Bass.

Bassphotos002.jpg

In recent times I added this instrument to my collection and it really is fun to play.

In closing I can't help but to be envious of folk in the south that can ride most of the time. So when I can ride, I make up for sitting on the sidelines in the winter.

Back