free website stats program Winter storage | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Winter storage

Our bike is stored in a heated garage that is not being used for anything but storing bikes this year, but, unfortunately, this option is not available to us next year and my husband and I are arguing how it should be stored next year. He says we need to find a heated garage that doesn't get used with car/truck traffic as the opening and closing of the large garage door will ruin the bike. I think he is off his rocker and that our garage will be fine (one that is heated, but is used for car/truck as well). Any thoughts on the validity of his claims? (and, any tips or tricks would also be helpful) I have searched online and can't find anything that relates to this topic in particular. We live in Alberta, Canada where is it usually dry but extremely cold and the bike is stored from Sept or Oct to March or April... I know poor us... short riding season. Moving is not an option:(

As most with motorcycles, you have a integral garage in the home. The garage is not heated but retains some of the heat from the rest of the house so it is never as cold as outside. The temporary polar blast when opening the garage doors with not negatively effect motorcycles. If you want added assurance and peace of mind, you could always purchase a good space type heater and set it up near the bike when you are experiencing the extreme cold. Otherwise forgitaboutit and every thing will be ok......:s

Maybe I am just lucky but I do nothing in particular with my bike and my last bike I owned for 12 years. I pull them in the corner of my attached garage. I don't cover them. I dont use a battery tender and I sure as heck don't jack it up off the floor. I crank them once a month and ride it til its up to temp. I turn off the fuel and run it til it dies and park it again. My batteries last 4 years or more and I never had issues with paint or anything. Of course in Tennessee winters are not as bad as some of you guys get.

Back