free website stats program Windshield Problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshield Problem

And to think, I have Novus #2 and Novus #1 on the way. Fourdogs, what was the final result? Did you use the #1 after the #2? That is the product recommended in my owners manual for removing scratches from the windshield.

Last edited:
Having just purchased a new Road Glide I was wondering about all the praise that Pledge Furniture Polish has been getting since Shep was a pup. So, just for grins and giggles I e-mailed S.C. Johnson and put the question to them. Their response was that Pledge will do fine on the chrome, mirrors and windshield but their recomendation was not to use it on the paint. So, once and for all, there it is. My guess is that this will not deter long time bikers and car owners from pledging anyway. In defense of the stuff, it makes paint look shiny for about a week and then it looses it's lustre until you pledge it again. S.C. Johnson must know something that we mere mortals don't know.

Been using it on paint and everything else since 1969 with no ill effects, but interesting they would say that. Why not ask them why so we know. :D

2300 mile road trip
+
Free bike wash at Sturgis
+
Remove scratches from windshield with Novus 2 then 1
=
Dang, why didn't I listen when Fourdogs said this product didn't work!

I made a small, fine scratch look like a smudge in the "right" light. My recommendation: don't use it unless your bored and have too much money and time.

Had the same issue with my windshield and hand buffing with Novus. Finally used a automotive style buffer/polisher and the haziness cleared up. Polish a small portion at a time. My helmet was sunfaded really bad so I tried the Novus to polish the helmet - worked great. I figured it's worth a shot

Once you get the scratches out, S100 Special surfaces cleaner does great on mine, and dont have to worry about getting on the paint. Use a microfiber cloth with it. Being special surfaces cleaner can use on just about everything on the bike, need to buff at the end to avoid the residue, but no scratches and disolves the "critters".
:cheers

Having just purchased a new Road Glide I was wondering about all the praise that Pledge Furniture Polish has been getting since Shep was a pup. So, just for grins and giggles I e-mailed S.C. Johnson and put the question to them. Their response was that Pledge will do fine on the chrome, mirrors and windshield but their recomendation was not to use it on the paint. So, once and for all, there it is. My guess is that this will not deter long time bikers and car owners from pledging anyway. In defense of the stuff, it makes paint look shiny for about a week and then it looses it's lustre until you pledge it again. S.C. Johnson must know something that we mere mortals don't know.

I know this is a Harley site, but I found that Yamaha (OK Brand "Y") has a windshield cleaner that works great removing the scratches on plexiglass without scratching. Just apply a little on a ol' clean cotton T-shirt evenly, let it dry to a slight haze, use a 2nd ol' cotton Tee and use very little elbow grease and it is clear as a whistle -- works on facesheilds and sunglasses too. Comes in a black bottle about the size of your hand, and carried it in my saddlebags for 25 years and 4 bikes. I used it on my Windjammer fairing & windscreen (anybody remember Craig Vetter?). :newsmile022:

Pledge works great for day to day (once the scratches are rubbed out with the Brand "Y" product), but does not work very well in humid or wet weather, it kinda smears. :bigsmiley11:

During the winter months I assemble car models. I use a product to polish the plastic windshields and the paint. It's called, it's a weird one, "the treatment", Model wax, The Final Detail. It's made in the U.S.A. !!! by Treatment Products LTD. I buy it from my local hobby shop. I have seen it online but it can be hard to get. I have used it on my '04 Road King windshield, with no ill effects (not everyday mind you). It is a sort of buffing compound, so the more you rub the better it looks. It will remove very light scratches and give it a really nice shine.

Back