free website stats program Windshield or not windshield? That is the question... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshield or not windshield? That is the question...

I cannot imagine that a shield would have more drag than a person sitting upright.

I do feel gusts of wind moving the bars but not a big deal.

Riding without is a lot more fun but I will feel it in the neck and shoulders plus more wind noise in the helmet.

My best solution was to lower my quick detach as far as it would go. I am looking maybe four inches over it. The head bob is less and I get more air through the helmet vents.

I have no experience of riding with a windshield but, just as a matter of curiosity, how does the windscreen affects the performance and the fuel consumption?
some might argue this but I don't think it really affects either one. There isn't a whole lot of "aerodynamics" on cruisers.

Riding without is a lot more fun but I will feel it in the neck and shoulders plus more wind noise in the helmet.

My best solution was to lower my quick detach as far as it would go. I am looking maybe four inches over it. The head bob is less and I get more air through the helmet vents.

This is what I am going to try. Harley sells two shorter windshields... one that is 2" lower, and one that is 4" lower than stock... I'm trying to figure out a way to do a test ride with these, before committing $300 per windshield just to experiment ?????

Once I can figure out my head buffeting issue at speed, I think I've just about got the perfect bike for me :D

ride safe... watch for left turners
Drew

Go to Clearview,or windvest they are better windshields in my opinion, and the pricing is cheaper then HD

Go to Clearview,or windvest they are better windshields in my opinion, and the pricing is cheaper then HD

Those clearviews sure look like a good option. Good prices, lots of options, and a 30 day trial period? Sounds fair to me. I have an email into them... thanks for the suggestion

ride safe
Drew

Installed a 9 1/2 '' clearview on mine. Went with the recurve... I really like it so far. Maybe should have gotten the 8" couple more rides I'll know for sure. But Clearview is great to work with and a quality shield as well.

The stock windshield on my 09 Road Glide caused a lot of buffeting. The shortest HD windshield got rid of the buffeting but then I'd get hit by bugs. I finally bought a Clearview windshield that was 2 inches taller than stock. I also got it with the Goldwing vent built in. That solved the buffeting and also gave me adjustable ventilation.

I don't have one, I don't really want one......on my bike. I think it looks dumb. Yeah, that's right, looks. lol. But there are times I wish I had one of those big touring bikes with a shield, radio, heated leather everything. I see the attraction....but for me and my skoot, no way.

I don't have one, I don't really want one......on my bike. I think it looks dumb. Yeah, that's right, looks. lol. But there are times I wish I had one of those big touring bikes with a shield, radio, heated leather everything. I see the attraction....but for me and my skoot, no way.

Agreed... Not on a Crossbones

I've made a few posts about windsheilds on this site fairly recently. Got an '02 WG and the buffeting is terrible with the sport sheild. I played with the windsheild to put it a bit more upright and that worked a little bit. But, that windsheild looks like it belongs on another bike. The looks got to me enough that I took it off on Saturday.

Hooked up with a buddy on Sunday for a two hour cruise without a sheild. First of all, the chrome stands out sooo much better. But I was shocked at the comfort of the bike without that windsheild. Lots of wind, but it was coming at me in a steady way. No helmet buffet/bobble at all. At 140 clicks (80-ish mph?) the ride was smooth, smooth, smooth (full face helmet by the way). Now I'm thinking what I really need is a decent backrest so I won't have to fight the highway wind so much - possibly a Biker's Friend rool/backrest.

I remember I first got the windsheild because of two successive bee incidents (one hit my chest and dropped down inside my jacket - and ouch - the other landed on my face sheild and climbed inside the helmet - talk about dumping your gear in a hurry!). I guess I'll still have that issue to deal with if I leave it off.

It's all a puzzle I tell ya. . .

Back