free website stats program Wind Buffetting and the Street Glide. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wind Buffetting and the Street Glide.

Crzy Canuk, A little word to the wise, if you think you might want to change the seat or the handle bars out later, you need to wait on the windsheild. Both of those things will change your sight height and change your requirments for a windsheild. Most of these guys have gone through several windshields cuz they changed things after they bought a new windshield. The order to change things is 1st the seat, then the handlebars.....then the windshield. Also take a look at the Windvest offering for your bike, that's what I run. As a general rule the re-curve windshiels "Ride" 2 to 4 inches higher than they are, depending on the amount of curve.
Have fun and keep it shiney!

just acquired a 2009 sg myself and I'm leaning towards going with the 8" clearview shield after much research on here and the net.

Cee Bailey makes the best designed shield for the money....there are many good ones, almost ALL of them cost a lot more than the CB with no real performance edge over it. A very good product.
Phil

With my '86 Tour Glide, I cut the windshield down to be able to see over the top, That slightly increased the buffetting on my helmet, however, if I have a travel bag sitting on the rear seat to keep the low pressure area away from my back, there is less buffetting on my head. Also, there is almost no buffetting if the cruise speed is over 75 mph. That means that the air is directed over my head. Years ago, I used a WindJammer fairing on a Honda. That WindJammer worked better than any other windshield or fairing on the other bikes I've owned. Rain would blow right over your head if you kept your speed up. I've even thought about changing my Harley fairing to a WindJammer, but that would be like insulting the Harley name.

As Dr. Doolittle says " definetly attack the air from below as well" I know my bike is different than yours, but I was having major wind buffeting on my 07 superglide (to the point I was going to buy something else). I was taking a trip to Nev and had too much luggage, so I bought a tankbag (14 L x 8 W x 8 H ) magnetic base, lined it with a good felt so it wouldn't scratch my tank , placed it as far back on the tank as possible touching the seat and buffeting was GONE!!! Won"t go anywhere without it! I think it must deflect the wind thats coming from below the windshield and up over my legs. Never seen a tankbag on any other HD but this worked on mine.

Great advise from everyone here. Rider(s) weight, seat height, etc will make a difference. Just to add my experience into the mix. I added a smoked 6.5" LRS with the slight recurve. LRS makes shields with more recurve and I'm sure they work better but I like the low classic look windshield. The quality and price are very good. I'm 5'9" tall and although there is some buffeting it isn't too bad and I'm able to look well above the shield. I've also got the fork wind deflectors and they help with wind from below. Hope this helps.

Back