free website stats program Will the nightmare ever end? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Will the nightmare ever end?

The more I thought about it & also talking with co workers, I really need to put the gauge on it because .0005-.001 would be hard to feel. Won't get a chance this weekend to work on it, going on a 640 round trip rescue of my daughters vehicle. I know after I get done with it I will feel better.

Toby

Plastigage is much easier and quicker than setting up and measuring with a dial indicator.

Why is it that when the engine is on TDC #1 the crank gear is not where it is supposed to be, the piston is already going down .

Here is where it is @ TDC

As you can see on the crank gear the flat is rotated so the flat would be perpendicular with the cam gear. I hope I got the pics in the right order.

Toby

I feel your pain......actually my back does. Tore into my primary's last night to address a loose and stripped tranny shifter arm. I hear it's somewhat of common problem on some of the older touring bikes (if not all older twin cams). It's all apart and the new arm is on but I want to go with a hex head Grade 8 bolt instead of the oem allen head so I can really crank down tight on it and hopefully avoid the same issue down the road.

I know it is a little late and the bike is probably back together, but to anyone else with this problem: when you replace a shift lever on the trans, get a chrome plated lever, not for looks, but because the chrome surface is much harder than the soft aluminum of the OEM lever.

This was not only a problem with the Twin Cam bikes, but all 5 speed transmissions.

Found my problem with some help. #1 is the rear cyl., go figure. Now I just need to get a undersized front gear.

Toby

Considering that it did not bind, I had an extra gasket & my dial indicator has a tolerance of .001 I decided to put the stock gear in. If it would have whined I would then go to the undersized gear. Guess what, just a whisper of a whine that you really have to listen for. But with the Fulsac true duals, I can see that #1 (rear) cyl is running way too rich, one thing at a time, right. I have had issues with the injectors before & replaced them & a year later one of the new ones went out. We have a injector flow bench & cleaner at work & have my machinist building a block to do those injectors, will get on him to get that finished. Poor thing is going to need a paint job before too long, one of the saddle bags fell over & got scratched, the jack handle fell down & got one of my side covers, my front fender got a healthy scratch ? that and 100K the chips. Next project. Going to ride before that one.

Toby

Well in reading your last post it sounds as though you are up & running. What gear drive did you end up using and what cams? I re-read the entire post and didn't see those items.
How do you like it now? Just curious.
tourbox

I am running the Andrews 36G's. I have it running and the gear drive is quiet, but I have some wires that I need to repair that go on the rear fender (tire rubbed them) & I need to address the #1 blowing black smoke which I think is the injector. I also need to readjust the idle, but it sounds great, hope it runs as good as it sounds. I also put on the Fulsac TD.

Toby

In the old days wasn't the perfect number 36-24-36....I think if I was a cam maker I'd consider the double innuendo. Not sure what the perfect number is these days...same holds for cams too.
Anyway glad you got it going. You don't need tail lights just tape a flashlight on the fender and hit the road.

Back