free website stats program Will be switching back to k&n Oil filters!!!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Will be switching back to k&n Oil filters!!!!

From the pictures i can see that you will have trouble getting a hand on the filter to get that final 1/2 turn
might be worth looking at all the parts there and see if it is possible to relocate/adjust something to gain a wee bit more space

Brian

here are some pics i took tonight with the hd filter on it, look at how close the filter it to the voltage regulator, and the stator plug in, no clearence hardle, the hd brand filter wrench would not fit, it even has a cut out for the stator plug , is there a long filter hd sells?? if so that would work great!

DSCN0977.jpg
DSCN0979.jpg
DSCN0976.jpg
DSCN0981.jpg

yes the type that fits over the end of crown

WOW. That is a VERY tight looking fit. I have a Jagg cooler, and it uses a different style oil filter adapter than the HD setup. But a couple of quick questions:
  • Can the oil filter adapter be rotated towards the front wheel and away from the oil filter?
  • Could the VR be mounted 180* off?

If the VR is 180* off, it may give you some more room for the filter. And if the adapter can rotate towards the front wheel, same thing.

Also, you may have to bend the mounting plate the cooler attaches to a bit towards the road to give everything a bit more room. Very congested up there. My engine has all the same stuff yours does, but it is not nearly as congested. I have no problem getting to the oil filter. I would post some pix, but I am overseas and do not have any with me that show this part of my engine clearly.

TQ

Last edited:
Ron, I'm glad you didn't suffer any worst effects from this experience. The thing I get from this lesson is to Always, Always check for leaks from which ever filter you choose, before saddling up after an oil & filter change...

I also have the Harley oil cooler kit on my 08' electraglide. I have much more room between the regulator and oil filter. There are no clearance issues and the hd filter wrench fits in there just fine.

As already posted, there should not be any interference at all between your oil filter and the regulator. Something is not mounted properly.

I would take it apart and see if you cant reposition the regulator further away by either turning it 180 degrees or re-drilling the mounting holes.

If that doesnt fix it, keep digging cause something is not right.

Have you tried a nylon strap tool? Looks like it may fit over the filter.
I use one for removeing ( with a long extention) and tightning also. Works well for me. Also helps me not bang up the crank censor also.

I bought a 13 fluted cap wrench and works nicely however watch the crack sensor when yuo try to pull the wrench off you can break it

i dont believe the super premium 5 micron filter is available longer, just the evo filters. id be adjustingthe position of the reg and cooler bracket

The 5 micron is still available. If you buy them On-Line, the price can not be beat for the Quality you are getting. I would Not use anything but the Genuine HD 5 micron.

Back