free website stats program Why We Are Bikers | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why We Are Bikers

Two wheeled sports were always engrained in my mind from the very first time I saw kids at school have them and I did not. :( In the very first grade I walked to school and really wanted a bicycle...but parents said they were "--too dangerous and not necessary to excell in school..." so I learned on friends' bike who lived a few blocks away. Did a lot of crazy things on two wheels. Helped others put 'em together (the neighborhood mechanical/electronics guy and my best friend the machinist/welder). Started with pedal bikes, rebuilding them and reselling to make money. Got into motorized handbuilt go-karts, mini-bikes and tote-goats (fat tired farm 2 wheeler), powered first with lawn mower engines and got into a lot of near accidents on more than one occasion. Fast-foward to today...got into automotive repair and loved driving...BUT still the "biker"...peddling "man power", 80 horse power Harley or 120+ Sportbikes its' all good. More rational, more experienced, a touch more careful but still a committed enthusiast always. Now all of you, go out and enjoy the ride, it gets better every time you get on! :yes

I'm glad someone else remembers the Tote Goat. It seemed like it was designed with a western NY dairy farm in mind. (at least that's my memory of it) It was the first powered two wheeler I ever rode. I did a web search for them once. Couldn't find a single reference. Maybe I'll try it again.

I just became a biker. My wife always wanted us to be "bikers". While she never got to see that become a reality, I feel her presence everytime I ride. So I ride every chance I get. It keeps me close to her.

First the word 'Biker' sets us up for trouble. I'm a Harley owner who loooves to ride. My dad had an Indian with a suicide shift. I was around 5 or 6. Can't remember anything before that. I can still remember the sound it made idling in the driveway. Well, I always worked (paper boy, gas station), turned 16 and my dad bought the guys 250 Yamaha from across the street for my birthday. It was wind in my face from then on. We love the sport like someone loves golf. When I'm riding and the wind and sun are in my face, it's ride to heaven.

I bought a used Sears moped when I was 13 with money saved from mowing lawns etc., and the sense of freedom on that first "long" ride away from the house. It was a spring afternoon, and I still stop and think about it every so often. I can recall the exact road and the passing landscape like it was yesterday. Never been without some kind of 2 wheeler since that day....

Back