free website stats program Why Sturgis? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why Sturgis?

But we get to ride via the Mountains to get there!!! :D

All kidding aside Doc, you should go. It is a great experience. I did it in 2005 and then again in 2006. The trek from Arizona thru western Colorado (no super-slabs) is a plus but the destination itself is worth the experience. :s

I agree, having scenery along the way makes it a huge difference. Once I'd get out of north GA, TN, and maybe the Ozarks, it would be all flat lands for me.

To do it "right" I'm going to need at least 12 to 14 days off. Kind of tough to coordinate that with wife, friends, etc.

Though I may have sounded Negative there is always a POSITIVE.. I agree it is a Must See and Experience event.. Even the Before by a week would work but the EVENT of sturgis is FUN and a Still a CHALLENGE , No matter how it is done. ride-drive-fly-Hitch Hike..... Bring your helmet as some states REQUIRE...

I will do the rally again and probably next Aug..
It starts on a Monday, Following the First FULL Sat. Sun. of August.

The thing I never talked about was the HD unveiling of their New Models...
That is FUN and a good SEE...

I have liked the most of sturgis and the SMUT stuff that doesn't interest me, can be avoided... It CAN be a family place IF you choose your way around.

I once took a Religious couple around to see all the things that took me and wife, about 3 rallies to master. Gave them the "Cream of the Crop Tour" of the Rally..

MOST risqué,,, BUT
Only taking them to NO panties Thursday on a wed. and Laughing about what goes on the next day.... They DID believe after seeing the down-town Sturgis Bikers... They were fully ENTERTAINED..... Haw ha ha ha

We put on 1100 miles on the rides around the black hills and Never once had anything Vulgar happen..

It DID rain (hail) on our way back from Hullet Wyoming.. I knew to keep behind the wet line and had no problem to get back to Crooked Creek resort where we Motor-Homed. The no panties went over fine with them as being there a Day early. They were Laughing on the need to purchase a "PEE-FEE" button..... A Button given AFTER a donation needed to use their Chem. toilet facilities. Their High Light for a souvenir.

SO you can make Sturgis fit MOST anybody's standards, as long as they can look at a LITTLE skin..

One year I left here in washington with full leathers on and NEEDING them everyday while at Sturgis. Really COLD that year and NOT much skin showing, Just Cow Hide..(.)

DR.,,,Hope this gets you excited to do a rally to sturgis..

signed....BUBBIE

But we get to ride via the Mountains to get there!!! :D

All kidding aside Doc, you should go. It is a great experience. I did it in 2005 and then again in 2006. The trek from Arizona thru western Colorado (no super-slabs) is a plus but the destination itself is worth the experience. :s
Hey Tank, I was there in 2005! I think I saw you. :p I was the girl with the plastic fenders & a wooden knob for the cap for the oil. LOL, I sort of forgot to put the cap back in & we had to improvise.

Doc, Rode to Sturgis from Texas a couple of times and the last ride was from Charlotte, NC. Although we spent a few days there, Sturgis wasn't all that was on the agenda. We planned 4 days to get there, we made it in 3 and was able to take in the Badlands on the ride in. We stayed 5 days, and maybe just two days were spent in Sturgis itself. Riding from Spearfish through Spearfish Canyon down to Crazy Horse Monument, Mount Rushmore, Needles Highway and Custer State Park was an adventure was fun. We left Sturgis and headed westward to Wyoming and Colorado into the Rocky Mountains. Because of vacation time for one of the members we headed back and but still had a blast. 12 days and close to 5000 miles we enjoyed every mile of the trip. I plan on making the ride in 2011 out there again, but Sturgis will just be a part of what I want to do.

Like Bubbie said, be prepared for weather changes, rain and temperatures. While in the Rockies on 9 August 2009 at 1pm, in the south we're use to being hot that time of year, it was 39 degrees as we were riding on Hwy 34 in the Rockies, but we were prepared.

I would love to have the Cash to take a trip out there, Just make a month of it.. Ride then do some sight seeing and do a whole lot of relaxing.. I reckon I could start saving my money for the trip.. But it seems like everytime I save up for a trip something happens and there goes the cash...Ol well nice to dream..lol..

CCF12192010_00000.jpg here are some shots of Sturgis, Spearfish Canyon and me in Custer state Park Playing with the Prairie Dogs

Back