free website stats program Why Sturgis? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why Sturgis?

Going before or after the event is a good idea if you still want to see the country side and IMO it is a very good ride. From my door it was 660 miles and a nice ride, you can still pick up on vendors and shirts and such before and after the event. Downtown Main street @ night is a sight, and if you go check out the Dungeon bar on main street, all who have gone before me know of its fame . Riding Spearfish canyon and checking out Deadwood is a lot of fun, you can buy Black Hills Gold jewelry factory direct there, The Redhead has quite the collection now and it has gone up in value, plenty to see and do out there:s

Best way to do Sturgis is as part of your trip, not your destination. Check out the area either before or after the rally, incredible riding just to get there. Only destination for any good ride is 'home' at the end.

Joy, GS34, & Jack have you covered Doc...Go early get familiar with the area, when the Sturgis Rally happens one or two days and then off to some real motorcycle touring with your compadres...why go through all the foot down "puttering" with wild crowds and such. Yes the vendors and stuff can be had virtually everywhere, no need to pound your way through on foot anyway, and sharing the GOOD experiences with your friends is really why you are there...not the ritual of "surviving" being in a testosterone ladened, over-spirited alcohol doused haze, in a crowd...! :s

To me it was something I always wanted to do. At 64 I thought it was time to get it done so I went last year. It took me 4 days to get there. I stayed 8 hours did what I wanted to do and left. The crowd was like I had never seen before. So many people. When I was there I met a guy whos girl friend works in one of the bars each year in Sturgis. He said the best thing to do is go the week before because all the venders are open for business and you can see everything before the mass of crowds during Sturgis week. I think I will try that next year and see if it is better. I went by myself so I got bored. Next year I hope I can get a buddy to go and see some of the sights..I agree with gs34, you seen one you've seen them all just more of it.

I rode to Sturgis from LA back in '89, when I was a bit younger. That was the 49th year, and it wasn't quite as crowded as the year before, probably because folks were saving up for the 50th.

Asking Why is almost like asking Why do a pilgrimage to Mecca. Because it's the pot-o-gold at the end of the biker rainbow, that's why. It's a requirement to go at least once in your life if you want true biker cred. You don't have to even like it....just do it.

I went with my girlfriend and her 11 year old boy, so we didn't do the whole Buffalo Chip thing, but we saw some beautiful scenery, Mt. Rushmore, and lots else. Now, at 69 impressionable years young, I'd go again, but as several folks have said, not during the rally week. I'm too old for that stuff.

Just don't trailer your bike to a mile from the town, unload it and ride in going "Oh, man, I'm sooo tired from the ride!"
That's minus a thousand points right there!

In the OLD DAYS, it started out as gathering for a FEW Jack-Pine-Gypsy's..

Then it GREW,,,, Fun to see a couple of times long ago,, I love the 1200 miles I put on doing the different rides into the black hills and neighboring places.

The real TEST in the Old days was to see IF you and your Motorcycle could make the destination,,, Many bikes years ago, were along the edge of the highways Broken Down and or Abandoned...

Now days, Trailers burned with a bike or two inside ,, along the way.

OLD DAYS,,It was a Challenge to see Which,,,, IF you OR your bike broke Down First.

I have found after Many trips riding the bike from Wa.(1250 mi) that Pulling the bike in a trailer behind my MH was just as fun, leaving more time to travel and camp anyplace.. Saving $$$$

I doubt IF I would be really interested to Camp out on the ground again OR stay in the Over Priced hotel/motels that are offered today..

I agree that MANY are going a week early and getting the less $$ cost on the motels..
They(motels) will Probably catch-up with that idea soon If they haven't already,,, and raise the Early prices to match the $$ during the event..

I would go to sturgis to look first day in early and stay till afternoon then Head out for the other places to RIDE... Going back Once more (afternoon) to sturgis then Gone for the ride and sights else-where.

I still DO get a Rush with all the bikes..
Yes it Has gotten More Dangerous in the last 15 yrs and is Way Over-Rated and Populated and Priced $$$$$$$$$$..

I watched a little on TV this year and that was enough for me to see the Things I didn't and never would look at while at sturgis.

I go for the ride. :bigsmiley16:

signed....BUBBIE

I have found after Many trips riding the bike from Wa.(1250 mi) that Pulling the bike in a trailer behind my MH was just as fun, leaving more time to travel and camp anyplace.. Saving $$$$

Bubbie, I'm not putting down people who haul a bike to ND to ride when they get there. I'm(EDIT) on the posers who trailer the bike and then PRETEND they rode thousands of miles. They do the same thing at all the big runs.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 63, retired and able to do things I have always read about but never thought I'd be able to do and have been to Bikeweek and Biketoberfest so doing Sturgis is next.

Why not just slow down and enjoy the people from all over get together for a good time.

Bubbie, I'm not putting down people who haul a bike to ND to ride when they get there. I'm(EDIT)on the posers who trailer the bike and then PRETEND they rode thousands of miles. They do the same thing at all the big runs.
I also get BENT out of shape when I see Some of the modern "Bikers" that comes along with the Crowds that attend rally's...

I am of the kind(like many here) that does what I want and Doesn't need to IMPRESS the others by False Methods...

If you ride OR trailer makes No difference to me,,,, But I Disagree with Many who; LIE, Cheat and Steal to Pretend they are a "Biker".... There are those types Just like you said.. called "Posers".

Another thing that bothers me is the Big $$$$$$$$$$ crowd. Bigger every year with more Bought Bikes, saying I Made It.. Seems they trailer their MANY $$$$$$ machineS and even have a mechanic along to keep the billion dollar bikes running right, while they POSE around the rally..

I guess it is partial $$ Jealousy on my part.. I usually run into one that likes to brag "his" many bikes and how "Big" the motors and Blaw blaw...

It was Fun to ask one guy in camp, about the inner-makings of his machines...

Then I heard him call "Hey Charley , What do we have in this one?????" Charley was His Personal Mechanic.

I guess $$ Are important but give me a break.... Haw ha, a Personal Mechanic ?...

Another pet peeve while traveling on the two-lane roads(sturgis) that have Too many bikes is another "Real Biker" that Just has to ride on-over-behind and darn near Under my bike with his "Massive" front wheel that sticks out a mile beyond any Normal Thinking bike design.. You have seen the type, COOL!, HAW, Just plain Dangerous. :newsmile03:

Now I do enjoy the Many Bikers that I meet And their Modified bikes that look COOL and still ride like a motorcycle..

Usually the bike THEY built or Modified and seem to show a Pride in their machine.. A Biker in my view.

There IS a Difference..... BIG difference. :panic

signed....BUBBIE

I've found the guys who know their bikes and do all their own wrenching aren't the braggers. They are proud of their rides and will answer my questions willingly even if some of the questions might be somewhat stupid, at least to them.

Back