free website stats program Why is this illegal ? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why is this illegal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rebuilt, salvaged or wrecked bikes are rather difficult to register just like home made trailers in some states. You must provide bills for all the parts that were used in the assembly of the bike etc in order to get it registered otherwise anyone with the urge to be dishonest would just rob parts and build a bike or trailer and go register it in their name with a valid title. This title thing varies from state to state with some states being more difficult to do this than others.

In some instances or states a MSO (Manufacturers certificate of origin) is needed to register a frame or engine to build a custom otherwise you are out of luck until you can prove where it came from.

Like The Boss said here, and I will say again I have seen bikes confiscated and you do not , DO NOT get them back and could face charges, IMO not worth it

Best recommendation is to visit your DMV (vehicle titles/registration) and see what the rules are in your state. Based on the build - they'll advise the best method of titling this vehicle. Good luck!

Why not buy a same totaled bike with no frame damage. Then a least you would have a salvage certificate and after making one good bike out of 2 then you would be able to get bike inspected and get a reconstructed title then get a license plate and off you go. Or for the time and effort to rebuild just buy a used bike with a clean title.

Since you can not tell one persons intentions from anothers and there is potential for improptriety, I completely agree with Gliders decision to stay clear of these requests on this site.

If that was my deal. I would look real close for number's.. and if I got them I would have the number's ran and see if it comes up clean, and as posted above your DMV should be able to run those numbers and lead you in the direction to get her straight.. I wish you luck.. take a bunch of pic's... and Share them with us..

I only apply some common sense when it comes to a situation like this. If someone wants to get another persons title from another bike to register their own bike , it just can't be legal IMO.

There are companies that will get you a legal title for something where the title is lost or destroyed if DMV can't do it.

a buddy of mine just went through something like this. he bought a bike that a guy built in his garage, no title. he knew he was going to have a problem and made a deal with the guy who built it to help. when he went to title it he had a pile of papper work, good thing the guy who built it had all the recipts for EVERYTHING he put on it. that said will all the paper work in order it still took him almost 6 weeks before it was on the road.
i would stay away

Best recommendation is to visit your DMV (vehicle titles/registration) and see what the rules are in your state. Based on the build - they'll advise the best method of titling this vehicle. Good luck!

This makes sense. I had no idea it could that difficult to build your own bike or swap engines and frames.

We had the same thing here in NY too Smitty with the guys buying the hulk of a car back at auction and they already had all the parts from that car and reassembled it after they got a clear title.

I watched a guy on craigs list a while back selling Harley parts so I book marked his user name and followed him. He had Ultra parts for sale. First it was the tank and fenders, then the floor boards and shocks, then the front forks, then the wheels tires and rotors, then the gauges and speedo, then the wiring harness and after literally every part on the bike was sold, he finally listed the wiring harness and frame. He eventually got around to the motor and trans too.

Just goes to show you that there are people who will take your bike and break it up for parts to sell it. This particular guy wasn't very bright to sell parts with VIN numbers on them but that's his problem. I hope he got caught, greed will get you in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back