free website stats program Why is this illegal ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Why is this illegal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangerdan

Sorry for bringing this up, but why is this illegal?

The fllowing subject was closed by Glider and his response was that this is "ILLEGAL"

I have a wrecked Sporty Im trying to put back together. If anyone has a Clean titled 95-03 sporty frame. get back at me

Dan

It's rather obvious to me that this poster should have a title for the bike he is trying to rebuild. Asking for a title from another bike (If anyone has a Clean titled 95-03 sporty frame. get back at me ) so that he can rebuild his bike is illegal.The title he is looking for obviously has a different VIN on it than the poster's bike. Suppose I took your bike and got another title for the same year bike and re-stamped the VIN from that title on your bike , then registered it as my bike.:D

I think you get the idea here. It may even be a stolen bike too (not saying it is)

I just wrecked my frame in an accident.
I found a good frame at a wrecker.

What do I have to do to make this frame legal

Couldn't tell you there, don't know the laws in your area.

Besides the OP was looking for anyone with a title (not his) for a frame that he has. You don't see anything wrong with that?

That makes senses.. I will discuss with my brother inlaw when he gets back. He's done this before.

This is very strange indeed.

Thanks Glider

I had a bike stolen years ago. Seven months later my frame was found with another engine. Seems a ring of thieves stole the bikes swapped the engines and got wrecked bike titles and restamped the engines and frames. Sound like what the OP is looking to do???

HMMM, I have seen bikes confiscated in Sturgis for numbers not matching, not willing to take a chance like that JMO

Rebuilt, salvaged or wrecked bikes are rather difficult to register just like home made trailers in some states. You must provide bills for all the parts that were used in the assembly of the bike etc in order to get it registered otherwise anyone with the urge to be dishonest would just rob parts and build a bike or trailer and go register it in their name with a valid title. This title thing varies from state to state with some states being more difficult to do this than others.

In some instances or states a MSO (Manufacturers certificate of origin) is needed to register a frame or engine to build a custom otherwise you are out of luck until you can prove where it came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back