free website stats program Why Do You Ride | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why Do You Ride

Jack this is a great thread. I think we all knew that there are some really great members here, but this thread has really given me both time to reflect on why I ride and just what got me started. Like all the posters I found 70West post amazing and I think we all had many memories come back, some good some not so good. I want to thank all the members for all the great stories. Ride long, Ride Safe. Don

I grew up in the out skirts of Los Angeles. Lotta nice trails and places to ride dirt bikes there. At 12 I did yardwork and odd jobs, and bought basket cases to fix up and ride. Spent many an evening picking rocks outta my knees, never thinking this may be a dangerous thing. We never wore those fancy pants to protect us and no helmets. It was a different time back then. We learned to deal with lifes spills. Not be put on Ritalin. Plz dont get me wrong, perhaps some need this medication. I just think it may be handed out too readily.

At 14 I went to work for masons mixing morter (tough work) so I could get a street bike. Back then you could ride with just a permit and I knew it would take some time to earn that kinda dough. I also leanered that girls dig guys on bikes and I persued that adventure to the best of my abilities. The quikest way I"ve found to get a girls arms around you is to say get on. I cant tell you wich (girls or bikes) I had more of in those golden years but they are all very fond memories now.

Well life goes by and you get married and have kids. You get your priorities strait and sell the bike for this years school clothes and some badly needed repairs on the house. Then one day your youngest moves out and you find you have extra money now. Hmm what to do what to do. Perhaps a piece of mechanical art.

When I'm riding with my wifes loving arms around me. Those memories whirling around my head. Ah theres just nothing else like it.

When I'm riding with my wifes loving arms around me. Those memories whirling around my head. Ah theres just nothing else like it.

You make a great case for me to go out and take the passenger backrest off my bike!!!

I ride just for the relaxation. Not a darn thing else.
When I was young I rode all the time. We toured pulling a trailer, I commuted to work on the bike.
I ran errands on the bike. We had 7 bikes in our garage at one time.

Now I am older and retired and I have slowed down and learned to take it a bit easier.
I still run the occasional errand but now I will, when the urge hits me and my honey-do list is complete, jump on the bike and just wander.

Our scenery here is beautiful. We have 100's of miles of good 2 lane blacktop roads and I can ride for an hour and never see another car.
We have rivers, mountains, a volcano and wildlife or I can jump on the highway and just enjoy the wind in my face.
I bought a GPS because I keep getting lost making one random turn after another.

I no longer try to cram as many miles on as I can. I try to cram as much as I can into the miles I do ride.
When my son comes down on his bike the rides get even better.

I ride because I have a couple of bro-in-laws that are great guys and really super friends that ride. They sort of talked me into getting another ride about 5 years ago and I am glad they did. I didn't have a bike while raising a family and did miss it. Now the kids are on their own and the Mrs. and I have more time for ourselves and we take it and are enjoying it!

70_West, thanks for sharing. I have been down the path that you are walking right now with your father. Take care.

When I was sixteen I asked my mother, “Can I have a motorcycle?”

“Of course not,” she said. “It’s much too dangerous!”

About two weeks later I was flipping through an old photo album and saw a picture of my mother sitting on a 600 c.c. Panther, so I took it right to her and asked, “hey Mum, was that Uncle Jim’s motorcycle?”

“No,” she said.

“Was it Uncle Dougie’s?”

“No.” “Well, whose was it?”

“It was mine.”

“Soooo,” I cross-examined,” if you had a motorcycle when you were my age, why can’t I have one?”

“First of all,” she replied, “I was nineteen in that picture, not sixteen, and second, it’s different now. It’s much too dangerous.”

There was some logic in this, since she had been living in a small village in Scotland in the nineteen-forties, and I had to admit, there was much more traffic in Toronto in 1970.

However, being a stubborn teenager with a pocket full of part-time summer job earnings, I went out and bought a motorcycle anyway. All I could afford was a beat-up old Honda. It shook. It rattled. It smoked. Not long after I brought it home and endured a tongue-lashing, it finally gave up and died.

“Well,” she said. “It looks like you’re determined to get a motorcycle, aren’t you?”

Sensing a change in the weather, I screwed up my courage and said, “Yes.”

“All right, then, if you must have one, let’s get you a proper one.”

We got in the car and she drove me to the BSA dealership on Eglinton Avenue. Looking around, I was immediately drawn to a big, shiny, silver and red 650 Lightning.

“No,” she said, “you don’t need one of those,” and steered me toward a 441 c.c. Victor Special. “This is all you need.”

With its wasp-coloured yellow and black paint job, small brushed-aluminum gas tank, and huge single-cylinder engine, it looked lean and mean. It was love at first sight. It was even better when the salesman started it up. It shuddered; it rumbled; it roared. It was perfect. Driving it home, I discovered it had the most delightfully terrifying ability to do wheelies with just the slightest twist of the throttle.

She knew what she was talking about. I fell off a few times. I learned how to do the laundry to secretly wash out bloodstains. But that bike fulfilled its primary function to the letter. I had no trouble whatsoever getting the prettiest girls at school to agree to go for a ride on the back of that motorcycle.

A few years later, I sold that bike to buy an amplifier so I could join a band. My mother helped me with that too, and bought me more than one guitar, and over the years, she helped me pay to go to university. Whenever I needed some help to get ahead, to do something I really wanted to do, she was there.

My mother died last year of lung cancer. I flew home to Toronto to be with her in the hospital, and, near the end she said, "I'm going to leave you something and I want you to get something you've always wanted with it."

BSA is long gone now, but I think she would have liked the looks of this one:

HD1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

About two weeks later I was flipping through an old photo album and saw a picture of my mother sitting on a 600 c.c. Panther, so I took it right to her and asked, “hey Mum, was that Uncle Jim’s motorcycle?”

“No,” she said.

“Was it Uncle Dougie’s?”

“It was mine.”

“Soooo,” I cross-examined,” if you had a motorcycle when you were my age, why can’t I have one?”

“First of all,” she replied, “I was nineteen in that picture, not sixteen, and second, it’s different now. It’s much too dangerous.”

There was some logic in this, since she had been living in a small village in Scotland in the nineteen-forties, and I had to admit, there was much more traffic in Toronto in 1970.

However, being a stubborn teenager with a pocket full of part-time summer job earnings, I went out and bought a motorcycle anyway. All I could afford was a beat-up old Honda. It shook. It rattled. It smoked. Not long after I brought it home and endured a tongue-lashing, it finally gave up and died.

“Well,” she said. “It looks like you’re determined to get a motorcycle, aren’t you?”

We got in the car and she drove me to the BSA dealership on Eglinton Avenue. Looking around, I was immediately drawn to a big, shiny, silver and red 650 Lightning.

“No,” she said, “you don’t need one of those,” and steered me toward a 441 c.c. Victor Special. “This is all you need.”

With its wasp-coloured yellow and black paint job, small brushed-aluminum gas tank, and huge single-cylinder engine, it looked lean and mean. It was love at first sight. It was even better when the salesman started it up. It shuddered; it rumbled; it roared. It was perfect. Driving it home, I discovered it had the most delightfully terrifying ability to do wheelies with just the slightest twist of the throttle.

She knew what she was talking about. I fell off a few times. I learned how to do the laundry to secretly wash out bloodstains. But that bike fulfilled its primary function to the letter. I had no trouble whatsoever getting the prettiest girls at school to agree to go for a ride on the back of that motorcycle.

A few years later, I sold that bike to buy an amplifier so I could join a band. My mother helped me with that too, and bought me more than one guitar, and over the years, she helped me pay to go to university. Whenever I needed some help to get ahead, to do something I really wanted to do, she was there.

My mother died last year of lung cancer. I flew home to Toronto to be with her in the hospital, and, near the end she said, "I'm going to leave you something and I want you to get something you've always wanted with it."

HD1.jpg

Judging by the way you write about your Mum, I'm certain she would approve!

Cheers!

I grew up in the out skirts of Los Angeles. Lotta nice trails and places to ride dirt bikes there. At 12 I did yardwork and odd jobs, and bought basket cases to fix up and ride. Spent many an evening picking rocks outta my knees, never thinking this may be a dangerous thing. We never wore those fancy pants to protect us and no helmets. It was a different time back then. We learned to deal with lifes spills. Not be put on Ritalin. Plz dont get me wrong, perhaps some need this medication. I just think it may be handed out too readily.

At 14 I went to work for masons mixing morter (tough work) so I could get a street bike. Back then you could ride with just a permit and I knew it would take some time to earn that kinda dough. I also leanered that girls dig guys on bikes and I persued that adventure to the best of my abilities. The quikest way I"ve found to get a girls arms around you is to say get on. I cant tell you wich (girls or bikes) I had more of in those golden years but they are all very fond memories now.

Well life goes by and you get married and have kids. You get your priorities strait and sell the bike for this years school clothes and some badly needed repairs on the house. Then one day your youngest moves out and you find you have extra money now. Hmm what to do what to do. Perhaps a piece of mechanical art.

Well said Speedyron! Time does indeed march on but we are still living the dream for as long as we possibly can.

“No,” she said.

“Was it Uncle Dougie’s?”

“It was mine.”

HD1.jpg
What a wonderful story! Sorry for your loss. Your mom sounded like a good woman!

Back