free website stats program Why did you Buy a "Harley" | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why did you Buy a "Harley"

Family Tradition, Made in the U.S.A. still pretty important hear in Michigan. Union made. Bad $&! bikes! Hotter girls bigger bashes. V twin ,rolling thunder,sunsets,rain storms, America! thats why.

I bought my Harley because i had a spare $40K in cash lying around.:DAnd here in OZ we have an atitude that equates speed as'THE KILLER ON OUR ROADS',and consquently we have speed cameras,speed traps,speed cops,
red light cameras and soon to come;speed cameras in red light cameras!(in case you SPEED to make the light)
A Harley is so good and easy to ride slow it makes life in our paranoid environment a lot more enjoyable.

Just always wanted to ride and came close to buying a Kawasaki or Suzuki cruiser a couple of times, but just could never see myself spending the money on one of those. To one of the guys points earlier, I did not want to be riding and looking at other bikes saying that's what I really want.

Last year went to the dealership with my Father-in-law sat on a bunch of bikes and just fell in love with the Street Bob. From that point forward there was no turning it was a Bob or nothing. Now I'll ride it till I can't anymore, maybe a bigger bike many more years ahead when my wife is ready to start cruising with me and the kids are gone.

Besides the history of Harley, there is no beating all the styling behind them.

It seems as the years go by that each new model year has some additional areas where they fall short. If it wasn't the crank bearings or cam chain tensioners or the cranks going out of tolerance, poor design in the 6 speeds, Auto adjust primary chain tensioners that are over tightening,compensator knock on start up in the new bikes, Balancer systems on the "B" motors spinning the gear on the crank , electrical fly by wire problems, cruise control problems to mention only a few weak links here, one thing I don't understand is why do they deviate from a known good design other than to save $$$ and then insult the loyal customers with the usual canned replies thinking everyone is stupid.

What I want to know is why the MOCO can't stand behind what they sell but chooses to try to make idiots out of the customer as a means of justification so they don't have to foot the bill for corrections to the weal links, one case in point here the IDS drive system. That was an "enhancement" and not a classified fix, so they wouldn't have to retrofit the 07 bikes at their expense. Ever notice an issue that is an obvious safety issue and the lack of a recall by the MOCO? Ever wonder why?

I've had many Harleys in my life bit I seriously doubt I'll get another one with all the problems that are arising with the new bikes. It seems the only good ones even with the minor problems were the older bikes. Add to that the lame service departments and the excuses they try to pawn off on the customer and the shoddy work they do (even at $100+ and hour some places ) and it doesn't paint a great picture for the MOCO or some of the dealers either.
If you think this is over emphasized, try calling the customer relations dept with a legit complaint and listen to the garbage they try to tell you. It's enough to make your stomach turn.

OK rant over!:D

Last edited:
It seems as the years go by that each new model year has some additional areas where they fall short. If it wasn't the crank bearings or cam chain tensioners in the pre 03 models or the cranks going out of tolerance, poor design in the 6 speeds, Auto adjust primary chain tensioners that are over tightening,compensator knock on start up in the new bikes, Balancer systems on the "B" motors spinning the gear on the crank , electrical fly by wire problems, cruise control problems to mention only a few weak links here, one thing I don't understand is why do they deviate from a known good design other than to save $$$ and then insult the loyal customers with the usual canned replies thinking everyone is stupid.

What I want to know is why the MOCO can't stand behind what they sell but chooses to try to make idiots out of the customer as a means of justification so they don't have to foot the bill for corrections to the weal links, case in point here the IDS drive system. That was an "enhancement" and not a classified fix, so they wouldn't have to retrofit the 07 bikes at their expense. Ever notice an issue that is an obvious safety issue and the lack of a recall by the MOCO? Ever wonder why?

I've had many Harleys in my life bit I seriously doubt I'll get another one with all the problems that are arising with the new bikes. It seems the only good ones even with the minor problems were the older bikes. Add to that the lame service departments and the excuses they try to pawn off on the customer and the shoddy work they do (even at $100+ and hour some places ) and it doesn't paint a great picture for the MOCO.
If you think this is over emphasized, try calling the customer relations dept with a legit complaint and listen to the garbage they try to tell you. It's enough to make your stomach turn.

DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......from you thats surprising....I guess I have been very lucky with my 04 Road King(Have 46,000 mi on her). Like someone else said. American made number one reason for me...Union...was a loyal union man for 37 years ...Don't shop at Wal Mart either...Have a Chevy and a Dodge in my driveway as well. Is it the best bike made? ....Not that familiar with others bikes out there coz i just started riding...but seems I seen other brands broken down as well...I never had problems with my Chevy or Dodge either!!!!....but do most PM myself.BTW nothing to me says Motorcycle like the styling and looks of a Harley!..Period ...end of sentence...and of course that just my opinion.... Oh yeah and since I've come to this site I've done the majority of the work on my bike...with a Manual and CD's from "Fix My Hog"...:D

It seems as the years go by that each new model year has some additional areas where they fall short. If it wasn't the crank bearings or cam chain tensioners or the cranks going out of tolerance, poor design in the 6 speeds, Auto adjust primary chain tensioners that are over tightening,compensator knock on start up in the new bikes, Balancer systems on the "B" motors spinning the gear on the crank , electrical fly by wire problems, cruise control problems to mention only a few weak links here, one thing I don't understand is why do they deviate from a known good design other than to save $$$ and then insult the loyal customers with the usual canned replies thinking everyone is stupid.

What I want to know is why the MOCO can't stand behind what they sell but chooses to try to make idiots out of the customer as a means of justification so they don't have to foot the bill for corrections to the weal links, one case in point here the IDS drive system. That was an "enhancement" and not a classified fix, so they wouldn't have to retrofit the 07 bikes at their expense. Ever notice an issue that is an obvious safety issue and the lack of a recall by the MOCO? Ever wonder why?

I've had many Harleys in my life bit I seriously doubt I'll get another one with all the problems that are arising with the new bikes. It seems the only good ones even with the minor problems were the older bikes. Add to that the lame service departments and the excuses they try to pawn off on the customer and the shoddy work they do (even at $100+ and hour some places ) and it doesn't paint a great picture for the MOCO or some of the dealers either.

No, Keep going, that way I don't have to say it and you can take the heat.:D:D

I actually road tested a Triumph Rocket III Touring and am thinking about making this an addition to my collection. ( I won't get rid of my 08 Harley)

I have wanted one forever. The style and cool factor. I remember having tee-shirts and a belt buckle as a kid. Then I rode my buddy's 1979 Sportster; loved the torque and coolness factor. I have American cars only. Seems natural that I would eventually get one.
I am happy so far, would do it all again. It is disappointing to be treated badly by the company that we are so loyal too!

Back