free website stats program WHY 3 HOLES and USE ONE oil??? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

WHY 3 HOLES and USE ONE oil???

NOW Jack , YOU are Lucky he doesn't have that "POOF" button active....
YOU Can give him the Action he deserves Now.... Unless he Sweet Talks fin or Tank..

No chance of THEM JUMPING in on His Side is there? :hummer

signed....BUBBIE

Nah, I dont think so, The Boss has a great sense of HUMOR, besides I think he likes us:p

If he asks a favour from me I'm sure i will be able accommodate him :p

Brian

:lolrolling :lolrolling Ha ha ha ha

Thanks Brian :D

Just shipped them off to Brian.:D

Bighammer.jpg

Poofclean-1.jpg

Thinking about the original post that Bubbie commented on, the validity of the original poster's question (noting some things don't seem to add up, but perhaps they do) and the continuing "Oil Saga", I think I have come up with a reason that the type of oil you should use, keeps coming up.

Aside from the new folks who just want an answer and/or haven't had time to read all the posts on the subject (remember, there is a tremendous amout on this site and it is VERY easy to get overwhelmed with so much information), I think the issue is that a dealer is telling you something that intuitively differs from everything else most people know and 2.) the recommendation from this board goes contrary to the dealer (supposedly an "authority figure", especially for new folks).

So, assuming that the MoCo and "the Dealer" are effectively the same entity to a new HD consumer, if they can't get "fluids" correct, why would you take any advice from the manual, the dealer or the MoCo? Then you are questioning why you bought a HD in the first place because "purpose developed fluids" are common and make sense to those who never turn a wrench. Add to that, if "Syn 3 in all 3 holes" is not the best solution, how could the dealer continue to support that? The initial trust in the transaction of buying a quality product is broken or at least very questionable.

Then, you read a post that suggests if you wash your scoot with water and/or ride in the rain, your wheel bearings will disintegrate. Sheesh! (I know this is the place to come to when you have issues and the intent is always good, but it can cause a lot of worry, if you don't have experience like some of the veterens here.)

I turned the question of oil/fluids into a "litmus test" for me to begin to judge a dealer/mechanic for the items that I have serviced. If the mechanics says, "HD recommends Syn3, but I use Mobile 1, Spectro and Formula +" then I know I may have a mechanic that is interested in what is best, not what is acceptable.

That said, it is still up to the individual to do the research and READ. This is where I think the "Polls" are very welcome on this site!

I think the rub comes when the discussions changes from what one "could" do to what one "should" do. The old addage... "I swear by it!"

COULD you run 30 weight dino in all three holes? Should you though?
Could you run front tires on both wheels? Should you though?

You nailed it brother! Not long ago I was one of those guys who beleived Dealer says... "Use HD oil and don't touch a wrench to it at all or void your warranty and be banished from the shop!" My eyes are open a little more know. I still trust the manual. I just understand that if it's a Betty Crocker cook book, of course it will call for Betty's flour... The recepie is still good. You just have to decifer instructions from advertisement.

By the way - I got 3.2% more torque running Pledge in all 3 holes LOL

Add to that, if "Syn 3 in all 3 holes" is not the best solution, how could the dealer continue to support that? The initial trust in the transaction of buying a quality product is broken or at least very questionable.\

... but I use Mobile 1, Spectro and Formula +" then I know I may have a mechanic that is interested in what is best, not what is acceptable.

That said, it is still up to the individual to do the research and READ. This is where I think the "Polls" are very welcome on this site!

You'll find that there's not many dealers that still profess "Syn 3 in all three holes" mainly because they found out it didn't work as well as expected. On the other side of that same coin, they sold it like that because it was easier to stock and for the profit margin involved if nothing else rather than selling some other companies oils.
Mobile 1, Spectro and Formula + is about as good as it gets even though you have to shop in different places to get all three. (Tried and true)

Don't forgot that Pledge!

I can only speak on what has worked well for me. I run amsoil 20/50 syn in eng and primary,redline with shookproof in trans I ride very hard. I have 10,000 miles on my bike never had a problem have 100 hp & 100 ft lb tork

I've run olive oil in all three holes for years. Recently I switched to basic corn oil because I like Iowa.:newsmile063:

Back