free website stats program whick oil is ok for my bike | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

whick oil is ok for my bike

well when i did the oil change,i used the servive manual,and it showed me that and i took off the screw and there was only a spring and at the bottom was a inch long peice of metal,it looked like a 22 shell casing,there was no screen,in the pic in the manual it showed a spring around a screen,but that spring that came out would not fit around the screen if the was one.so i cleaned up the metal thing and it slid down in the hole and i put the spring back in.am i missing something,or is this a new thing that somebody put in there.that peice of metal thing was a perfect fit no slop in it like it was made for that,and that spring went inside of that..i looked with a flash light and no screen..

did i remove the wrong plug..the other one next to it was not a screw driver slot its like a acorn bolt head..when i looked at the manual im pretty sure i removed the right one it showed it in the pic too..if i remove the acorn one today and check that one is oil gonna squirt out oil is that under presure now .i looked at that link that smitty901 sent and i think i removed the wrong one.my manual didnt say to remove that one...

Last edited by a moderator:
You removed the wrong plug. Open the other one and clean the screen. The one you removed before was in the top of the oil pump.

It's on the case above the cam cover to the right of the oil pump. Service Manual is the best tool in the box and the Parts Catalog is the 2nd best, it shows exploded diagrams,order of assembly, bolt sizes and thread pitch and of course all the Part Numbers

yep fellas i did the wrong plug,i looked at my service manual again and thats the one in the diagram in chapter 3 .so im lookin through the book and came on another pic in chapter 4,and it showed me the right one..its the one you guys said it was and in your diagram...you guys sure know your stuff...i took it out and cleaned it .it was clean and didnt look bad at all...but i cleaned it and put it back in ....i wont make that mistake again ..everyday im leaning more about the bike...thanks again guys..

Glad you got it sorted out. The screen doesn't catch much more than carbon particles or a nut or bolt :D I like to clean them with some carb cleaner and then blow them out with air.

thats what i did sprayed with carb and choke cleaner and blew with air. and reinstalled..that was easy...well its gettin warmer here today so i got to get off this computer and hit the open road.its almost 50 degrees out thats warm enough for me.to take a couple hour cruise...hope you guys are doing the same...ride on.....

Back