free website stats program whick oil is ok for my bike | Harley Davidson Forums

whick oil is ok for my bike

xxwide

i just picked up a 93 fxdwg 1340 cc stock motor...i want to change all the fluids..it has 27650 miles,i forgot to ask what oil he used in her..will it hurt anything if i put amsoil in it..even if he used another brand.i have heard stories that bye changing oil could soften up the gaskets...is that true..or can i put amsoil20w50 syn.in it and be alright

The Amsoil will be fine. To make a long story short....No, not true. But if there were any cracks or imperfections in the gasket the syn oil may seep through 'cause it is better oil and will get into tiny places the fossil oil can't

good ,because i did all the fluids after i started this tread..i put amsoil syn.20w50 in the motor.and amsoil severve gear 75w90 in the trans.and revtech in the primary..everything went good,i even changed the plugs and a new air filter..the motor sounds a little ticky in the front cylinder...only if i put my head down there.when im in the saddle i dont hear it though..i didnt put my head down there before the oil change..so i really cant tell...time will tell ..im riding tomorrow and friday ,because its gonna be nasty this weekend:D

if the ticking doesn't go away once it warms up, I'd say you should change the lifters. If it's all original you should change the lifters anyway, they're at the end of their lifespan. HD upgraded the lifter from 18523-86 to a "B" suffix and they are much better and will last longer.

Some ticking is just fine. I have never heard a HD without some ticking. You can even place adjustable push rods in and that will take some of it away. Ticking is just the nature of the beast. My Road King had twice that many miles on it and it ticked away since new. I did place adjustable push rods and adjusted them every 5 to 10k. Easy stuff here.
Ugly John

yeah .....you will hear ticking, but... if they are original lifters at 27,000 I'd think about changing them to the 86B's,
xxwide maybe take it to a reputable Indy in your area or to the dealer and let them have a listen and ask their opinion....if your at the dealer order the Factory Service Manual for your bike especially if you want to do your own wrenchin.
Not a big job to change the lifters...you could either pop the rocker boxes and take rocker arms off or cut the pushrods and install adjustables. But if you wanna do it yourself ....Get the Manual. Best tool in the box

amsoil is the only oil he has at the local bike shop.i guess i could get some mobil1 at my local auto zone.but i will still have to go to the bike shop for everything else..maybe next oil change i will try mobil1.and see which i perfer...this is my first rode bike,,always rode atvs and dirt bikes for 44 years...the 2 strokes.i always burned koltz in them...but ran out of places to ride them ..so i took it to the open rode....harleys are new to me.but i catch on quick.first thing i bought was the service manual,very helpful a must have..then chrome.

I catch on quick.first thing i bought was the service manual,very helpful a must have.

Your smarter than me ,first thing I bought was cruise control,didn't know how to install it and came to this forum for help,been here ever since:D

In the last tests done on motorcycle oils Amsoil was on top in most of the results and always in the top 5 for sure. It looks to me as if they even say you can use the 20-50 synthetic in all three. (Engine,prim,trans) Sounds weird but thats what I read anyhow. It did get very technical but for some reason it just seems to stand up better. I use the Amsoil in my vehicles, snowmobiles,dirtbikes and streetbikes. Always have always will.

Back