free website stats program Which Oil Cooler is best for my Bike | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Which Oil Cooler is best for my Bike

I know they want us to buy aftermarket "stuff."
All clever marketing!
That's why they give us that big P&A book at the dealership.

Hey, are you cmplaining...? that HD P&A book is "free"...and as thick as your $60 Service Manual...how can that be a "bad" marketing approach? :bigsmiley20:

Nope.... not complaining as I love to look through the book.
Still clever marketing.
Always love to see what I didn't we didn't know we needed.

Put an oil temp gauge on first.
Then you can see any changes made.
Marlin's Marlin Corporation - First Page See our new parts has a kit for oil temp.
It replaces the air temp gauge. It can also check your head temp.
I added it to my '07 Ultra.

It was handy while riding through the desert last year. 115 degree temps.
Only thing it did was tell me the oil temp but doesn't allow for any way of cooling the oil. Once the oil gets hot, it will stay hot, even with an oil cooler.

I knew what my oil temp was but the bike ran fine. Other riders had the same oil temperature but because they didn't have a gauge, they were clue-less.

I live in Iowa and temps here get over 100 degrees but I'm not adding a cooler.
It just adds more hoses that are exposed to the chance they could be cut/ruptured and then what do you do with a leaking oil supply?

I figure if a cooler was really needed, Harley would add them as standard equipment from the factory.

Synthetic oil will help to bring the oil temp down.
Your choice on brand as everybody has an opinion.

Harley refuses to admit to a heat problem. They wont give away their oil cooler as standard equipment. They make their money on providing added options that you the consumer will have to purchase. Even their mid-frame air deflectors. Though you can imagine what their really used for. The title doesnt say anything about it being a heat deflector. But they do sell them and their high dollar models have them installed. But like I said. They wont ever admit that they have a heat problem.

zoood

ULTRACOOL.COM is the best oil cooler being sold today Better the Jagg or Harleys

And the one guy who said" if Harley thought there motors needed oil coolers they would put them on a standard Equipment"

If Harley did that...it would be an addmission of guilt that there TC Motor runs Hot! Also If Harley had designed there Heads right {there junk} all you other TC owners woundnt be talking about oil coolers. Oil Coolers only work when your moving just like an Air-Cooled Motor only Cools when your running @ 40 plus!!

Oil Coolers only work when your moving just like an Air-Cooled Motor only Cools when your running @ 40 plus!!
Not true, it's known as radiant heat.

A motor with an oil cooler will also cool when standing still to a degree just like the radiators in your house. They (the radiators) aren't moving but they still radiate the heat to warm the room, same principle here with an oil cooler and they also increase the oil supply just a bit too.

ULTRACOOL.COM is the best oil cooler being sold today Better the Jagg or Harleys
I agree with you on that. not because Im a dealer for their product. But because i have installed it on my trike. Ever notice that HD doesn't make the oil temperature gauge standard on their new machines? That would also be an admission of guilt. You have to order that gauge as an option.Any questions about the Ultra Cooler. You can discuss this in the Manufacturers Product - Official Support section under Ultra Cool and V-Twin Heat Deflectors
zoood

I agree with Glider, the oil cooler still radiates heat when your not moving. If the motor can throw off heat when your stopped, which it does, why can't the oil cooler?

When heat rises (even in still air) it creates air flow so more surface area=more heat is transfered from oil/engine away from the motor.

Back