free website stats program Wheel Weights on FLHX | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel Weights on FLHX

So it looks lik they just put tham in the center of the wheel ? Personally I don't see a problem with it but bottom line if you're not happy with it you might talk to them at least to get their reasonong behind it and then have them cange it.

This would be what we call static balancing, my guys would do this on custom wheels, it was not a good way to get a good balance job IMO and when they came back and a lot of them did I did them the right way I really hate tape weights:(

I just got a rear tire replaced by the dealer -

Normally I see the wheel weights WERE on the rim next to sidewall of the tire.

Tonight when I look at it I see that they put the weights on the rim that run from left to right on the rim -

Is this normal, I have never seen it like that....
Yeah, It's the way I attach the weights IF the center of the wheel is smooth. If not, then I stick them on the side.

Really? The Weight is centered under the point of rotation and centrifugal force pushes the weight against the wheel reinforcing the placement. Like a bucket of water when you rotate it round and round and the water stays put.
This reality is better than mounting the weight off center where centrifugal force could shear off the weight.

That is pretty UGLY I would fire a tech for that one JMO

I always put the weights as close as i can to the centre line of the wheels on spoked wheels i use spoke weights as the spokes are on the centre line of the wheel so far i have had no issues with doing it this way
I started doing my own tyre changing in 1977

Brian

Really? The Weight is centered under the point of rotation and centrifugal force pushes the weight against the wheel reinforcing the placement. Like a bucket of water when you rotate it round and round and the water stays put.
This reality is better than mounting the weight off center where centrifugal force could shear off the weight.

I always put the weights as close as i can to the centre line of the wheels on spoked wheels i use spoke weights as the spokes are on the centre line of the wheel so far i have had no issues with doing it this way
I started doing my own tyre changing in 1977

Brian

I guess I am just used to Dynamic balancing opposed to static balancing, either way will work

I have never had the the correct equipment for dynamic balancing so my balancing has always been static and if a wee bit of time and care is taken then it works well
In my younger days I was close to 150 mph on a few occasions but usually was somewhere between 90 and 120 mph and the static balanced wheels never gave any problems

Brian

I got an email back from the Service Manager - apparently this is the way they are doing them on the 2013 models and how they are going to do them from here on out .... so he assured me, this was good to go.

I got an email back from the Service Manager - apparently this is the way they are doing them on the 2013 models and how they are going to do them from here on out .... so he assured me, this was good to go.

I doubt you'll have any problems with it, ride and enjoy! :s

Back