free website stats program Wheel bearings | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel bearings

Yes run a bead inside of the race, this is a very common practice with professional bike builders / resto guys, frame builders /repair guys.use this technic 99% of the time when replacing neck races they are very hard to get out and I have personaly used this form of removing races on rims and frame necks a number of times with zero problems,I learned this trick from one of Bruce Palmer resto HD resto books ,he is credited by his peers of being one of the most respected resto harley guys in the country.

Got started on saturday afternoon cleaned up all the stuff i had already removed like spacers and axel pin then got round to pulling the bearings fitted the correct head of the bearing puller on to the bearing then fitted the slide hammer and started pounding but no move pounded more still didnt move so i applied some heat and eventually the first one came out
second one wouldnt move either so i ended up fitting the puller head on to the bearing put the wheel half off the bench and put an old 1/2" sq drive extension through the wheel and on to the puller head and used 5 lb hammer and it came out so i gave up and took dog for a walk

put the new bearings in today and tried to check the end float prior to fitting the wheel as stated in the manual but really needed another set of arms so i did as the clymer manual stated to fit to bike much easier as bike holds the wheel for you ended up with 0.07 mm of end float end float needs to be between 0.05 mm and 0.15 mm so mine is fairly close to the lower end i got the metric measurements from the clymer manual as most of my measuring tools are metric
so back wheel now fitted back on the bike and i still have the front to do but ill be ready long before the weather changes

Brian

Good for you, now the Dog should cook dinner for you:newsmile100: just kidding, I like a happy ending:s

It was a real pest getting the old bearings out but i am glad to have that one done but sill have the front wheel bearings to do but now i have sorted out a good tecnique for all the bits that need doing it should go a lot easier and quicker i hope

Brian

This welding trick works because when a weld cools it contracts, so a good bead around the inside, let it cool and it will shrink the bearing.

Well today it was the day to do the front wheel bearings got to shed about 12:30 and at 1400 the bike was outside the front of the house ready to go on a road test
Perhaps because the weather over the last couple of days has been dry and warmer than it ought to be for the time of year so no trouble at all with the front bearings with my best worked out technique from last weekend
the new tyres feel really good they seem to soak up minor road bumps with no feed through to me didn't catch or wander at all only got about 40 miles and fastest was about 75 and perhaps any new tyres would have been better than the old ones
Time will tell but so far Avon venom feels like good tyres for my bike have to wait till i get caught in the rain to tell on the wet grip
new helmet seems good so far (old one got stolen in shed break in) it is a flip front with drop down sun visor and built in bluetooth have married it with phone and wifes similar helmet we should get 500 meters + on helmet to helmet comms

Brian

Dropped the bike up to the dealership late yesterday with a flat back tyre. Had to ride it about 1 mile as no other way of getting it there. Felt really wobbly and unstable even at 10-15mph.

They called me today to say that the rear wheel bearings need to be replaced. They're good guys and I don't doubt their assessment of the situation.

The bike has under 6000 miles done and has been garaged and fairly well pampered. Does that seem a short lifespan for wheel bearings, am I just unlucky or am I mistreating her without knowing it? The tech did ask me if I used a jet wash on the bike - which I do not.

Any comments welcome :D

My guess would be they change a lot of wheel bearings. Or at least much more than the pre-ball bearing (6205's) design. I bet seeing bad bearings on the early taper roller style was few and far between. And not because you could repack them. It was just a better seal in my opinion.

Wheel Bearings ? - Harley Davidson Community

Not only the seal but the old style tapered roller bearings will take side loading a heck of a lot better than the sealed ball bearings they are using now.
Gee!!....Who woulda ever thought that motorcycle wheel bearings might take a lot of side loading...,..evidently not the MOCO!!!!!

Back