free website stats program Wheel bearings | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel bearings

Thanks for all the words of wisdom i have now read through the manual on setting the end play but dont have a dial indicator hopefully one will be here by the weekend
I have in the past bought tools that i thought might only be used once but as life goes on they become ideal for another job so it was good to buy them
Hopefully everything i need will be here by the weekend and ill have a wee task to fill my time as with the way the weather is riding is a long way off for me

Brian

hopefully ya wont need shims as i bet they might be a problem to get for ya .. not even sure if my dealer would carry um

As Karlsbike Said easy way to remove the race is weld a bead on the race and they will drop out ,no fuse best wey to do as long a you have access to a welding machine.

hopefully ya wont need shims as i bet they might be a problem to get for ya .. not even sure if my dealer would carry um
The shim part numbers are in the sevice manual so did a part search on the dealer site that i use and they come back at £1:63 each so they are available and i should be able to get them but it might take a while so it is perhaps just as well that i have a spare bike held in reserve

As Karlsbike Said easy way to remove the race is weld a bead on the race and they will drop out ,no fuse best wey to do as long a you have access to a welding machine.

I dont have any welding stuff but i do have a blind bearing puller with a selection of different sized heads that i have used to pull similar sized bearings in the past

Brian

Puller shuld be ok , just giving you a option if the race gives you trouble.Sometimes they can be stubborne and the welding a bead trick never fails. they literally fall rite out.

Puller shuld be ok , just giving you a option if the race gives you trouble.Sometimes they can be stubborne and the welding a bead trick never fails. they literally fall rite out.

Never heard or seen it done that way before. Are you saying you take a mig welder and lay a bead directly on the bearing surface of the cone? I take it the heat generated expands everything and the cone expands less than the wheel hub? I don't understand how the race (cone) falls out.

Never heard or seen it done that way before. Are you saying you take a mig welder and lay a bead directly on the bearing surface of the cone? I take it the heat generated expands everything and the cone expands less than the wheel hub? I don't understand how the race (cone) falls out.

Hoop, some times the vibration from the weld will rattle the races loose an old trick that works good:s

Not saying it does not work because I am sure it does but to me it sounds very risky. Just from normal everyday welding, concentrated heat in 1 spot really promotes warping. Any chance on sightly warping a hub from doing it that way? Maybe if the hubs were cast iron like they are on a cage it would work.

I really don't know. Just pulling thoughts out of thin air. I would have to see it done a few times before I tried it on my expensive wheels.:)

Not saying it does not work because I am sure it does but to me it sounds very risky. Just from normal everyday welding, concentrated heat in 1 spot really promotes warping. Any chance on sightly warping a hub from doing it that way? Maybe if the hubs were cast iron like they are on a cage it would work.

I really don't know. Just pulling thoughts out of thin air. I would have to see it done a few times before I tried it on my expensive wheels.:)

This works on real stubborn races, when all else fails, you are correct when it comes to heat and distorting the hubs, have to be careful, it usually only takes 1 good sting from a welder to lay a bead or cause the vibration to knock it loose, I prefer to use pullers when ever possible JMO

I took my frame to a friend once as he was going to remove and replace all the captive nuts on the frame as my bearing puller had arrived that day we decided to try it out but didnt have a big enough head to do pull the steering head bearings so he cut a bit of flat steel to a rough size and welded it into the outer race and a bit of bar and a hammer and it popped right out
He moved to spain a few years ago and he did all the welding i needed doing and he was good

Brian

Back