free website stats program Wheel Bearing Is History | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel Bearing Is History

So, bottom line, what specifically, could be the risks. The wobble, of coarse, is one. I would think there really would be a very high risk of loss of control, but that aside, what about damage to the wheel or the rest of the bike. Stealer advises estimate of $150, parts and labor, just to swap out the bearings. I'm hoping there won't be any other damage discovered. I too think wheel bearings should last 100k miles. Failure of this "non-maintenance" part, so potently dangerous on a motorcycle, shouldn't happen very often, but I don't know how often it really does happen. Any guesses?

I think to assume that any part of our Harley's will last 100,000 miles is wishful thinking. Anything mechanical will break down. We need to be alert to any differences in operation as the OP was and correct the problem as needed. This is why we have maintenance schedules and pre ride inspections so we can catch issues before they send us flying down the black top on our leathers.

but I don't know how often it really does happen. Any guesses?

The bearings the Moco selected are nothing special. They are "off the shelf" 6205 2RS caged ball bearings that are being exposed to possible driving rain and wind. All it takes is a little water or a couple of grains of sand to get behind the seal and it's all over. Take apart a new wheel bearing and look for yourself. The seals were never designed for this application.

Yes, some will say they got 100K on a set of bearings without failure. (please. early Timken design don't count) But I believe the majority fail MUCH sooner. (for me fronts went out @ 11,000 miles)

Buy a bearing installer/remover for $90 and save money the first time you use the tool because you will be doing it again....and again

Back