free website stats program Wheel Bearing Is History | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel Bearing Is History

jimd3246

Hello all. I'd like some advice/info from you all, Please.
I just got home from a 2900 mile ride, with some friends, that began with a trip to Hell's Canyon Rally and then continued through Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Nevada:newsmile08: and home to Washington, over 12 days. Terrific ride with plenty of twisties and sights to see. Now, on my first ride since returning home, I find that the right front wheel bearing has, at some point, opened and spilled around half the ball bearings! She's at the dealership now, which brings me to my question.
Since I do not know when the bearing self-destructed, I curious as to the possibilities and risks of riding with the wheel in that condition. i'm thankful that there was no visible other damage (visible to me), but I wonder how dangerous this situation might have been. Does anyone have an opinion about this?

My opinion would be that you were blessed with some great scenery and made it home safe to ride another day and that's what really matters.

As for how unsafe it was, we all pretty much know the answer to that. Any major failure of components in the front end while riding can end up in a catostrophic way. Thankfully you averted that.

Was there anything that seemed out of place during the ride? Pulling, wobbling, shaking etc? Or did you only find the symptoms and problems on this first ride since the trip?

Well, yes I feel I was blessed. In answer to your question: I did not notice any symptoms of any kind until yesterday, when I went back out for the first time. I thought maybe I was feeling a new vibration, very slight, in the front end for maybe 5 miles, at around 40mph on a country road, then when I got onto the hwy, I dang sure immediately noticed the vibration and when I relaxed my grip, IMMEDIATE AND SEVERE wobble! That's when I knew "Houston, we've got a problem". Keep in mind, my last days ride, from Bend Oregon to Seattle was mostly at freeway speeds!

Mine started growling at 18k at 17 k no wobble. I had a new front tire teck said they looked fine then. It was rt side gone not outwardly noticeable. I contacted NTSA. Let them know so if they get enough they may issue a recal or something. These bearings should last 100k Glad your ok.

National transportation safety administration. I think that's rite I called several gov agency's only one took my story.

Back