free website stats program What's up with this...should I worry | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What's up with this...should I worry

Like Bubbie said if you had 0 oil pressure your lifters would not pump up, rattling would be the first clue with a loss of compression next. Harley needs to learn to build better gauges for one and as Breeze said the TC motor lives on volume for pressure, Still have it checked by the dealer, they can verify with a master gauge:s

My 2012 SG was doing the same thing when it got hot, at my 5k service I switched from RevTech 20/50 MTP to Redline 20/50 motor oil. Gauge never goes to zero now, falls way off but still holds bout 5lbs at hot ildle. Also changed to Redline trans oil with shockproof, what an incredible difference that made, trans shifts way smoother, much quieter, all the heavy clunking is gone when shifting, and neutral is much easier to find. Dont notice any difference in clutch operation with the Redline Primary oil but seeing the difference the other fluid changes have mad I feel confident my clutch is protected and will give a long service life. I'm sold on this Red Line stuff.

Friend of mine has those gauges on his Ultra....he tells me their for show and not too pay attention to em?

What is your idle speed. A friend didn't like the 1000 rpm idle speed that the newer bikes require to maintain oil pressure. He like the lope of the older bikes that are hot rodded up. with a little adjustment he got his bike doing just like he wanted. slow idle with the hot rod lope, but no oil pressure. lot of engine work later, he now keeps the idle up in the 1000 rpm range. not saying that that is your problem, but do watch the rpm's the twin cams will not handle the lower rpm's with out help. (ie, bigger oil pump). might not with bigger oil pump. I like the lopie sound also, but keeping the oil flowing is much better.

What is your idle speed. A friend didn't like the 1000 rpm idle speed that the newer bikes require to maintain oil pressure. He like the lope of the older bikes that are hot rodded up. with a little adjustment he got his bike doing just like he wanted. slow idle with the hot rod lope, but no oil pressure. lot of engine work later, he now keeps the idle up in the 1000 rpm range. not saying that that is your problem, but do watch the rpm's the twin cams will not handle the lower rpm's with out help. (ie, bigger oil pump). might not with bigger oil pump. I like the lopie sound also, but keeping the oil flowing is much better.

The newer bikes require so much idle for correct lubrication, I actually wouldn't mind mine being a tad hire but haven't figured out how to do that with my PCV yet, eventually I'm going to meet someone that will show me how.

Another thing:

IMO,,,,, These TC bike motors AREN"T meant to sit and IDLE....

They do require some RPM/air cooling to survive...

Motors that are DESIGNED to Idle for long peroids of time Have More oil pressure and cooling to do so...

Ever wonder about that Trucker who Idles his big Diesel rig all night and some all day... They are Built to do it.

HD's Are NOT.

IF your oil pressure comes up and runs 20# or more in HOT stop and go traffic,(and believe me that IS HOT) You are okay.

Gauges are Just that Gauges, Mass produced... IF you want an accurate gauge, (maybe Lucky to get a cheaper one built on wed)
you Will Pay upwards of:53::53::53: hundred dollars for one.

signed....BUBBIE

I'm no engine builder but look at the video closely. What makes the needle snap from 8 PSI to 0 in one abrupt movement? I have never seen an oil pressure gauge do that. I would have expected the needle to settle somewhat gently to zero and not snap at one time. That's a fall of 8 psi.
Sure looks like a mechanical problem in the oil sending unit or gauge to me. It's like 7 psi (anything below 8 psi) and zero psi is the same to the sending unit.

I'm no engine builder but look at the video closely. What makes the needle snap from 8 PSI to 0 in one abrupt movement? I have never seen an oil pressure gauge do that. I would have expected the needle to settle somewhat gently to zero and not snap at one time. That's a fall of 8 psi.
Sure looks like a mechanical problem in the oil sending unit or gauge to me. It's like 7 psi (anything below 8 psi) and zero psi is the same to the sending unit.

I never saw that good video you supplied, until right now...

That being the case, I totally agree with Hoople here.

IMO, That oil pressure and drop Without Lifter noise Points elsewhere than the pump or Lack of oil pressure.

signed....BUBBIE

PS.... NO they all don't do it.

Just when at a HD Shop:newsmile100:

Do Dakota Digital gauges, tank or fairing mounted, read oil pressure any better at idle?
Or the rocker cover mounted mechanical gauges such as HD pn#75133-99?

Back