free website stats program What's up with this...should I worry | Harley Davidson Forums

What's up with this...should I worry

robermv32

Bike: 2010 FLHX
Milage: 23,479
Oil: Mobil V-Twin 20-50 Just changed..correct amount added

Situation: Riding in traffic with fully warmed ( hot ) engine I see this...

oil pressure drops to zero.wmv - YouTube

The service department manager told me, " they do it now and then, as long as no idiot light appears, you're good to go." Do these gauges go bad ? Is this something that is NORMAL ? Looking for suggestions.

Good thing is...you're still getting pressure so pump's running. I'd still have them check sending unit on gauge & possibly oil pump for proper ops...don't trust indicator lights to work until the damage is done.

Is your bike still under warranty?

I don't trust that gauge. Like Iceman said, check the sending unit. If you can reproduce this condition and clearly you can hence the video. Hook up another gauge and compare.

I don't trust that gauge. Like Iceman said, check the sending unit. If you can reproduce this condition and clearly you can hence the video. Hook up another gauge and compare.

My 2012 FLHTCU has done this since day 1. I have 1200 miles on her and have had the first service and the shop say's that it is normal to have no pressure on the gauge at 1000 RPM. When I throttle up the oil gauge works fine.

Yet another case of "they all do that".
Whats the point in having an oil pressure gauge if it goes to zero and your told not to worry about it? Might as well put a wind indicator in that hole IMO.

Popular concern on several forums. My '07 does it also at hot idle, but jumps right back up to 30+ with some rpms.

I'm with the others, why have a gauge if it's not reading properly. my 09 will drop to about 6 pounds at idle when it is hot. I would have them fix it especially if it is under warranty.

I'm with the others, why have a gauge if it's not reading properly. my 09 will drop to about 6 pounds at idle when it is hot. I would have them fix it especially if it is under warranty.

It is NOT the gauge. The oil pressure itself drops. The twin cam engine has a high volume pump, there is plenty of oil circulating at idle.

It is NOT the gauge. The oil pressure itself drops. The twin cam engine has a high volume pump, there is plenty of oil circulating at idle.

Seems we get this Question many times here on HDT AND else where on the forums.

Gauges that show "0" quite often will have 5+ pounds of pressure and Just Not show it.

I have and had Many gauges on my bikes... I ALSO kept the "Idiot Lights" hooked up, so I have double coverage.:s

I have looked at MY gauge Idling at a light and in the Phoenix area on a HOT stop and go day."0" is what it said also. The IDIOT LIGHT said nothing...
BUT
IF It comes on YOU PROBABLY HAVE NO OIL PRESSURE

The HD bikes are roller bearing in Many of the usual metal to metal fits and do well (FOR A WHILE) at the lower Oil Pressure.

IF you do have "0" oil pressure, OR below 5 lbs, The LIFTERS WILL Rattle and that is the FIRST INDICATOR of OH OH No oil pressure and SHUT IT OFF.... NOW, right now....... Not sit there and BLIP the throttle while it still says "0" and the RED Idiot Light is on..

Don't be the IDIOT here.:D

Lifter Rattle = NO OIL.

I do Know this from Problems I Have Had.:small3d031:

Heat and oil pressure at Idle on a HD is SCARY to say the Least:small3d011:

signed....BUBBIE

the shop say's that it is normal to have no pressure on the gauge at 1000 RPM. When I throttle up the oil gauge works fine.

Sounds like a bunch of bologna. Sounds more like H-D cheaped out and installed a defective batch of gauges. My 2009 always shows pressure at idle. The only time I've had a low pressure indication was when I was overheating the engine in crawling traffic on the Going To The Sun Road.

Back