free website stats program What's a good deal on an 883? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What's a good deal on an 883?

I'll Post "I Agree" here with the Knowledge given from the members here.:

Go for 07 or newer, 06 last year before ALL HD's were FI, YES on an 883.

Less insurance and license on 883. IF wanting to go to a bigger bike later,,,,,

Re-build the upper end is all that is needed. a bit more compression/pistons,bored out to 1200, using 10x1 or 10.5x1 pistons:D
Lap the valves and USE the stock 883 heads.(more low end torque)

That would put a BIG smile on Your face when YOUR riding it...:D
(you may want one of your own)

signed....BUBBIE

for what it is worth, I'd avoid the 883 altogether unless the wife is only 25 pounds or so. I am 5'9" just under 200lbs, not a big guy. Have worked on a couple customers 883's and not only are they uncomftable but are absolute pigs. Only slightly better than a moped. On the other hand an 883 with the 1200 kit installed is not too bad, and that is what I bought for my ole lady. You should also temper my comments with the fact that I dont believe in "starter" bikes. Aside from the first couple of hours for someone, especially women, with no experience I believe they should learn on what they are going to end up with. I know many may disagree with me, and support the start small and work your way up method but I personally think if a rider is going to end up on a bigger bike that is what they should learn on. I also dont believe in coddeling new riders, push them hard from the beginning and ease up as they gain experience and develope thier own riding style. This worked well this summer when I taught my GF to ride her 883 with the 1200 kit installed. She is not an overly confident woman, in fact she has some confidence issues, and is also quite small at about 5'2" and 130lbs. With only 6-8 hours seat time I put her in a pack of about 14 or 15 bikes. when we got to our first stop noone could belive she had less than 10 hours seat time logged. Every single one of them had nothing but compliments on her ability and all said they would ride with her anytime anywhere. That alone built her confidence level and she has steadily increased her ability since.

My brother-in -law bought a 2007 883 for his wife this week.
His wife is 5'2" and weighs 125. She loves it.
It had 1800 miles on it and he gave the owner $4700 for it.

Ron
WAP.gif

My brother-in -law bought a 2007 883 for his wife this week.
His wife is 5'2" and weighs 125. She loves it.
It had 1800 miles on it and he gave the owner $4700 for it.

Ron
WAP.gif

MAN,,, that is a Sweet Hart deal... Many would enjoy an extra Harley at that price....

signed....BUBBIE

Back in 1995 I bought a New, slightly used Used Harley 883 Sportster.

??? about 6.000$ I seem to remember...

It was a Blast to ride and again, I was MUCH younger then.

I did ride it as an 883 with the normal stage one then Turned it into a BEAST.

Boring it out from a 3" to a 3.5"bore, using 10.5 X 1 Wiesco Pistons and using the stock re-furbished small heads off the 883 engine.:D
Lots of Torque...

The compression Bump Up was so strong,,, When you stood behind it, You would Feel the Throbing of the exhaust through-out your body... CCC was 219 lbs...

I Sigh today thinking about that bike.:worthy

signed....BUBBIE

MAN,,, that is a Sweet Hart deal... Many would enjoy an extra Harley at that price....

signed....BUBBIE

That is the kind of deal I'm keeping my eyes open for... If the wife decides she doesn't want it, I'm sure I could live with having a second bike. :54:

No takers on my old pickup though, and now that snow season is closer, I don't think I want to let the old truck go.

Back