free website stats program What to do about transmission leak? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What to do about transmission leak?

don't know which side or where, but it could be jack shaft seal or main seal on inner primary check to see if it is real oily and dirty behind primary,clean it real good to see or as mentioned before could be output shaft seal and quad seal. the seals aren't that expensive. i think the most expensive thing is the primary gasket as far as materials and maybe an hour and half labor

Being an 03, you may want to check the shifter shaft seal area too in between the rear of the primary and the trans up at the top of the trans where the shifter linkage hooks up to.. They have been known to leak and it runs down the back of the primary or trans and looks a lot more serious than it really is.

First thing to do is to work out where the oil is coming from if it is coming from the area of the pulley if oil collects on the primary side of the pulley it will be the main shaft oil seal and if it collects on the gearbox side of the pulley it will be the main drive oil seal and quad seal
the oil will puddle on the lower part of the pulley if you can just get something in there to check
if you are pulling it all apart yourself might as well replace all the seals in that area
you will need some special tools
but let us know what you find then we can go from there

Brian

My '09 was leaking too and the first dealer said it looked like it was coming from where the shift linkage entered the tranny... fact is that the oil was blowing all over when I'd ride and after I cleaned it off and checked it was really coming from where the exhaust bracket bolts on to the tranny on the other side... had to get the exhaust out of the way but then tightened the bracket bolts and it stopped leaking. Hope yours is that inexpensive and easy.

You guys have been really great in your responses. This thing has really dampened my spirits with my bike. I love it but seeing that oil on my garage floor and everywhere I park has been nagging at me.
I will certainly clean it as advised and will talk to the shop about the quad seal, shaft seal, etc.
By hook or by crook I'm going to get to the bottom of this and I'll post the results when I do.
My sincerest thanks to all who have taken the time to offer me guidance.

HC....Don't get discouraged. And don't get impatient. Take it a step at a time and above all....don't go after it with any preconceived ideas.
Clean the whole bottom of the bike and everyplace you can with break clean, gunk, or some other good degreaser
Once you get it dry.....careful examination with lots of light and magnification is your friend.
Good luck and report your findings.

Back