free website stats program What to do about transmission leak? | Harley Davidson Forums

What to do about transmission leak?

horizonchaser

Contributor
I have had this transmission fluid leak for a few months now and I can't take it any more! When I mentioned it to my dealer about the dripping on my garage floor he said something about once they get "in there" it could be really expensive and there is no guarantee that it would be fixed properly. He said Harley's leak oil. I am not buying that! I am at the point right now where i don't care what it takes to stop the leaking, I just want it fixed! I love this bike but I don't want the oil on my garage floor like my old Chrysler did! Any idea on what I should do or what's causing it? How much is it going to cost me? :(
Thanks. BTW, it is an '03 Ultra.

Last edited:
First off, I would go to another dealer. He looks like he's setting you up for a bigger bill than necessary.

What you have to do it to clean the entire area well and see if you can locate the source of the leak. It may be something small like a blocked vent line but you didn't mention what area it was coming from.
If it's coming from the area behind the pulley, then it gets a bit more involved. Which side of the bike is it coming from and are you sure it isn't a primary leak instead of the trans?

The key here is to locate where it's coming from.

First off, I would go to another dealer. He looks like he's setting you up for a bigger bill than necessary.

What you have to do it to clean the entire area well and see if you can locate the source of the leak. It may be something small like a blocked vent line but you didn't mention what area it was coming from.
If it's coming from the area behind the pulley, then it gets a bit more involved. Which side of the bike is it coming from and are you sure it isn't a primary leak instead of the trans?

The key here is to locate where it's coming from.
Thanks Glider. I didn't like his answer either. I will wipe the area down real good and take note where the leak is coming from. I'll get back to you on that. If I take it to another shop, would an independent shop be okay? I do want to stay with the HD shop where I bought the bike but not if they are trying to pork me.

My clutch cable was loose where it screws into the transmission. The oil was seeping out and running down the cable to a low point where it dripped on the garage floor. Tightened it and problem solved. I don't know if your problem is something this simple, but it's a thought.

My clutch cable was loose where it screws into the transmission. The oil was seeping out and running down the cable to a low point where it dripped on the garage floor. Tightened it and problem solved. I don't know if your problem is something this simple, but it's a thought.
I appreciate it. I am going to take it out for a ride when it is not raining and follow Gliders advice and try to locate the specific spot from where it is coming from. I'll check out the clutch cable also while I'm at it. I would love a simple and inexpensive fix.

Independent or HD shop, who ever has the good rep is where I would go. Best to wash it and dry it good so you can see any further signs of leakage.

Have you noticed any signs of adding any fluids recently?

Independent or HD shop, who ever has the good rep is where I would go. Best to wash it and dry it good so you can see any further signs of leakage.

Have you noticed any signs of adding any fluids recently?

I have. I have kept an eye on the tranny as well as the oil. It is the transmission where I have to add a few ounces of oil at least once a week, depending on how often I ride. That is just about every day that it isn't raining. I should have mentioned that at the outset about adding tranny fluid. That would've made the diagnosis easier.

When I first got my Roadking it leaked trans oil. It drove me nuts too. With help from this site and my manual I removed the outer and inner primary , pulled trans output pulley and changed the quad seal. Has never leaked a drop since. I don't think the Twin cams leak oil. My floor is always spotless. You will find the problem. Don't give up.

Do what Glider said clean it real good then observe. The newer Harley's don't leak unless something is wrong. As a matter of fact the old shovels didn't actually leak, they dripped from the chain oiler. So don't accept the premise.

Back