free website stats program What tips for complex trips? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

What tips for complex trips?

Great - you have your mount wired into the electrical system, right? The thing I'm struggling with is that most of my riding will not need a GPS, so I'm not sure I want the mount and the wiring to be permanent.

Are there good mounts which are easy to take off, and would there be a way to run a port off my battery so that I can just plug it in on long trips?

Great - you have your mount wired into the electrical system, right? The thing I'm struggling with is that most of my riding will not need a GPS, so I'm not sure I want the mount and the wiring to be permanent.

Are there good mounts which are easy to take off, and would there be a way to run a port off my battery so that I can just plug it in on long trips?

I dont use satnav on the bike but i do use other accesories mainly charger for mobile phone
i have battery charging pigtail fitted to the bike for quick connect of my charger and i made up another plug to go on this pigtail with a car lighter socket on the other end
so its quick on and off handy for any light use of 12v powerd stuff

Brian

Mine is hard wired and the bracket is mounted to switch housing with two screw on the switch housing. Whoa! I need to re chrome a screw i see....lol

jpg.gif GPS bracket.jpg (70.4 KB)
jpg.gif attached to switch housing w2screws.jpg

Attachments

• GPS bracket.jpg
    GPS bracket.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 17
  • attached to switch housing  w2screws.jpg
    attached to switch housing w2screws.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 15
I use the Garmin Quest 2. Now obsolete, but works fine. It managed to get me through 48 states and 6 Canadian provinces this summer. I do not have the audio turned on, just use the distance to next turn as mentioned previously. Unit tells me which way to turn and what road I am looking for. There is no need to continuously stare at it, really very little distraction. I feel a lot less than trying to follow a map.

I put the HD handlebar mounts on both bikes and swap the unit between them when needed. Not loose wires when the unit is removed, just the cradle. For most local rides I just leave it in the bag. If I do manage to get lost, or need to find a gas station, restaurant, motel, bar, etc, it is easy to pull it out and take a check. It will lead you right to your destination. On complicated routes, it is the next best thing to sliced brad. :lolrolling

Wow. I guess I'm behind the times. I still use a compass. curves and turns are irrelevant as long as you know what direction you want to go. I have a few different ones including the one the government gave me a long time ago, but my favorite is my old Silva. Just hang it around your neck, tuck it in your shirt and you'll never get lost.

Wow. I guess I'm behind the times. I still use a compass. curves and turns are irrelevant as long as you know what direction you want to go. I have a few different ones including the one the government gave me a long time ago, but my favorite is my old Silva. Just hang it around your neck, tuck it in your shirt and you'll never get lost.

lol Kinda hard shooting a azimuth going 80 in the HOV on the I-405 in L.A. though....:lolrolling

haha
yeah, I guess that's one of the drawbacks, you have to stop every now and then...but stopping is good, ain't it? Even if it's just for gas or a drink.
And compasses are cheap!

Yeah, but they also break, and maps are eh..."forever...if you remember to fold'em back and pack it for the next trip...where did that thing go??? :lolrolling Get the GPS, after the manual, it is pretty cheap and the verbal exchanges with your pillion partner will be less "spirited"...!:bigsmiley24:

Back