free website stats program What tips for complex trips? | Harley Davidson Forums

What tips for complex trips?

Keithhu

Folks - curious to hear what your tips are for navigating trips which contain lots of directions - if you want to avoid highways, often there are a ton of turns.

GPS is one idea, but its expensive, and honestly I prefer not to be distracted by it. It seems like it would be a hassle to stop and look at a piece of paper that often.

I'm curious to learn from the more experienced among us as to how they manage this. Thanks!

Working with a traveling construction company has kind of etched a state wide map in my head I go by memory most of the time

You might want to check out the magnetic tank bags that have a clear window on top for maps and such. When we travel, we write the turns and roads in large letters and put them under the clear window.

I use a TomTom Rider 1 GPS. I can program about any route in it and you actually don't look at it that often as the unit "talks" to you telling you what and where the turns are. If you stray from the route it's programmed for it'll quickly recalculate a new route. It keeps all kinds of trip stats for you and I think is a pretty handy little device. Mine was only $250 from Amazon. I'm not even sure you can still get a Rider 1. I know TomTom came out with the Rider 2 not too long ago, so 1 could be gone.

You might want to check out the magnetic tank bags that have a clear window on top for maps and such. When we travel, we write the turns and roads in large letters and put them under the clear window.

Exactly what I have and use. Cheap GPS and AAA maps stay in the saddlebags for last resort use. You'll eventually develop your own shorthand and abbreviations and be able to fit a whole days worth of directions on one page.

I ordered mine from Eglidegoodies - it's made by T Bags.

Oh, be sure you keep the bottom and the magnet area nice and clean or you risk scratching your tank's paint.

Since I ride a bike with music, I don't want or need my GPS talking to me!

Keith; I use a clear pouch with magnets (like a tank bag) to hold my map (open end towards seat). Road Atlas's have detailed enough maps for my trips, they go down to some pretty minor roads. I rip the state(s) out of the book, I highlight my intended roads with blue highlighter, fold and insert in pouch. I make a turn by turn instruction sheet about 4" wide and clip to edge of my windshield with a spring clip for safe viewing (put some duct tape on jaws so clip doesn't scratch). The map on tank gives me a good mental overview of where I am/want to go. At day's end I go over traveled roads with yellow highlighter, which turns green over the blue, and refold my turn by turn instructions for the next leg. You can get road atlas' at K or W mart, I got several off e-bay for $7 ea. incl. shipping. Reg. state maps work, but I find I had to do too much refolding during the day. Have a good trip!:small3d004:

IMO GPS are a waste and distraction.
If the route is to hard to follow use a grease pencil and draw a strip map on windshield
With a few notes easy to read wipes right off[/QUOTE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Smitty; Good one! The original (and cheapest) heads up display:small3d018:

IMO GPS are a waste and distraction.
If the route is to hard to follow use a grease pencil and draw a strip map on windshield
With a few notes easy to read wipes right off
A GPS does a lot more than give you directions. They tell you whats around you and where it is. If you wanna find a cheap hotel all you have to do is push a couple of buttons and you get a list of hotels that has phone numbers and directions.
Most importantly mine tells you where the nearest bar or tavern is. :cheers

I let a friend of mine borrow mine one time when he had to go out of town to work, and he wasn't sure how to get there. He was like you, in fact it took quite a bit of persuading to get him to borrow it. Now he wants one. :s

I don't like the grease pencil on the windshield approach. Have to take focus off the road to read the map, most grease pencils, being a waxy type compound sooner or later picks up a piece of debris and then you've etched your windshield and finally I didn't work that hard cleaning and detailing all the crummy chrome a Harley has on it to have everybody trying to figure out what's on my windshield.

My GPS "talks" through a Blue tooth receiver in my right ear. Let's me here the iPod or radio just fine. Usually on a long trip you're not making that many turns it needs to tell you about anyway, so its not really bothering you.

I used the tank bag and route slip on my old Softail. The little magnets and the bag never really scratched my tank, but they took the gloss off the clearcoat. So I don't put anything on the tank anymore.

Back