free website stats program what style of helmet | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

what style of helmet

A safety motorcycle helmet's useful service life, usually three to five years, is dependent upon the intensity and frequency of its use. Helmet replacement is recommended if one or more of the following points applies to the helmet.

1. The helmet was subject to an impact. Your were involved in any form of an accident with the helmet. If so, the helmet's integrity has been compromised and will no longer provide the same level of protection it was designed to give. It is recommended that if you want to maintain maximum safety, to replace your helmet immediately. Money is not at issue here, we're talking about your life, the life of your children and family.

2. The comfort padding or the retention system has become loose due to heavy use, or they display signs of deterioration. The retention system is there to hold and maintain your helmet to your head. When this is compromised, the protection no longer exists. Regardless of how food the shell is, if the retention system is not there, you may as well not even be wearing your motorcycle helmet.

3. The synthetic foam padding displays signs of heavy use and the helmet feels too loose. You can test the effectiveness of the padding by fastening the retention strap and gently shaking your head. If the helmet moves, the padding is too loose. The padding is what sits between the hard outer shell and your soft head. Unless there is 100% integrity in this foam, you will not be receiving maximum protection.

4. There are cracks or compression in the EPS liner and/or white spidering can be seen on surfaces of the EPS liner. You see this, time to get a new helmet.

Some helmet manufacturers will inspect your helmet for free but if they find it is outdated may not return it and possibly end the service life.

Glider....here's the question we keep struggling with...
Is a drop to the floor an "impact" by the definition/guidelines you have set forth for replacement?

I think that would depend on the severity of the hit and if there were any visible damage other than a scrape. If it effects the integrity of the helmet , then I would replace it to be sure.

Check out this unit.

Motorcycle Helmet Damage Sensor- webBikeWorld

dropped.gif

I'm with you here. I'll take a couple of scuffs, but in an accident your head will crush the absorbant foam inside, and it doesn't come back. Once it's smashed it no longer posseses energy absorbing capabilities. A drop on the garage floor can compromise the integrity of the shell, theoretically, but mine has seen it's share of gravity checks, too. I think it will be fine.

Age is a factor too, but like you said, there's a whole other thread on this subject.

Guys, the helmet, like tires is rather cheap when amortized over the number of years of use...the routine bumps/drops/use/age issue notwithstanding. We spend much more doing our regular maintenance and lavashing bling to our rides "justifies the dollar angle" or #'s of old helmets adorning the garage (do you save the old tires off your ride too?), toss 'em out if they have no sedimental value...if you would not wear it on your head, do not sell it or heavan forbid, let a loved one actually use the thing! :bigsmiley12:

RichardS -- the guitars on the other hand, like a fine wine...keep'em as long as you want...pitch the helmets for more storage space, but keep Cat happy! :D

Lew, remember when we talked about this? I think the jury is still out about exactly what constitutes replacement need.....
A crash?
ABSOLUTELY Bro...I'm with you!
But what about a "crash" when the helmet crashes to the garage floor after it falls off the seat?

I'd be buying a couple new brain buckets every season!

What do you think?

A lot depends on the material the helmet is made from. If its one of the more expensive fibre composite helmets, i.e: carbon, kevlar or glass, then a fall that would be considered damaging would result in the shell being distorted. If its not distorted its probably fine. The cheaper helmets are normally composed from a Thermo resin ( i.e."Plastic"), if these helmets drop they do'nt permanently distort and its difficult to tell whether they should be replaced, they also degrade somewhat with U.V. light, hence the 3 to 5 year life. I hope this helps but always "if in doubt" REPLACE IT.

I have a 3/4 with a full shield. Visibility is great. Still on the prowl for a full-face.

Maybe Santa will bring one this year!

If I wasn't wearing that helmets those dents would have been in my head.

I am not quite sure that skulls "dent." I think they fracture and shatter.

Rather morbid subject, that...

If you throw helmet away PLEASE cut the straps off as close to the helmet as you can so it don't end up being fished outta the trash and being sold at a garage sale.

True story: Knew chick in college. Her boyfriend worked on Hog, decided to test ride it. Who needs helm; just going around the block, right? Sunny summer day, no traffic...stops at stop sign and puts his foot down...foot slips, bike goes over, whacks left side of head on sidewalk.

Was left with mild brain damage and a speech impediment. Doctor said it would be permanent. The human skull just isn't designed to take a impacts against hard objects (like the street.)

I don't know what the velocity of his head was when it hit the pavement...but it's way, way more in an accident when much speed is involved.

Helmets save lives and prevent debiliating injuries. I won't even back my scoot outta the shed without my helmet on.

Older helmets make good hard hats by the way...

As a follow up i purchased a TMS helmet on ebay, it's a full face module helmet.
It was nice for ridding in the colder temps the other day it made ridding alot more comfortable. I was amazed at how much visibility is lost, I found myself searching for things that i could normally see such as the gauges on the tank, as well as the zipper on my jackets, as well as all the sensory input that you loose with a full helmet. i found that my speeds on the highway increased, and i was less comfortable making lane changes due to decrease in visibility. In a nut shell the full face will protect you more in a accident, but with the lose of visibility the shorty might be able to keep you out of harms way. I want the warmer weather so i can go back to my half helmet.

for those interested the helmet was TMS brand flat black size XL my hat size is 71/2 fit was a good fit the chin protector did contact my chin at times . There is no seal for the top of visor so there is a bit of wind noise.

thanks again for all the input

I wear a half helmet sometimes. I have a problem with my neck when I wear my helmet...the faster I go the more it feels like my neck is being crushed by the wind force. I can only wear it when I put the windshield on.

Back