free website stats program what style of helmet | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

what style of helmet

thanks for the input, i am going to look at the full face helmets at leastt that way i will have a choice and for the cold days it will offer more wind protection. as a side note i do wear chaps jacket with armor in it and gloves

I’ve worn a carbon fiber beanie style helmet for several years. This year I bought a ¾ HJC-3 and have worn it several times. A bit warm in the summer, but it does have good ventilation when at speed.

As always, a lot of comments/arguments to be heard concerning helmets. :wall Wearing a helmet isn’t a big deal to me, covered my noggin with one for years flying in military.

Some days you want a half helmet and other days a full face is the best choice. Pick the one you believe will let you enjoy riding your bike with the protection that you are comfortable with.

If you want to wear a helmet - do so.
On the other side, if you don't like'm - then don't.
Ain't no skin off'n my noggin.

Yeah, I wear'em - religiously. Got 4, 2 HJC Full Face,
1 HJC shorty, and a brand new Scorpion shorty. Has a
shield that slides down from inside the shell.
Kind of like my old Navy flight helmet.
I've had helmets save my bacon on two occasions.

Granted, you may look cool as James Dean, but looking
cool won't keep the knots off your head.

Sure, under a probably limited set of circumstances, a
helmet could exacerbate damages. But, for the most,
they offer more protection than hindrance.

Just my plain opinion.
doc
and they help to keep bugs outta my hair.

and if you'd ever seen how much hair i have left,
you'd know that was a lie.:)

I wear a full face Arai helmet. It is very comfortable and has excellent ventilation.

I grew up in Va and have always had to wear a helmet by law. I don't agree with being forced to do anything, but I wear them. I toasted one helmet showing my brother how I could "almost" shift gears with the front tire up in the air, not on a Harley. I would not be here today if not for that helmet.

The thing I like best about a full face is when a big ole bug plasters you in the face and you can just keep going. I saw a friend almost wreck his bike at 60mph because he hit a huge bug with his face, it could have even been a bird. I agree the short helmets look "cooler" but at least once a day I get the splat on my visor and it reminds me to keep wearing a full face.

It is also very warm in the winter. I wear a hat and chin cover, but my head stays very warm. I just crack the visor a little in the summer to help stay cool.

It is a personal choice. I understand why some wear no helmet or a non DOT helmet and that is fine. I hate being forced to do anything I don't want to. I have just been wearing them for so long, it feels funny not to wear one.

I am 42, married, short and getting fatter. Looking cool by wearing a half helmet just ain't gonna help that much.:( Plus I can sing as loud as I want and no one can hear me or see what I am doing.

Maybe I should wear my helmet even when I am not riding.:D

I wear a flip up helmet and usually below 40mph I kept it open. I had a very minor prang with a cage at less than 10mph but sided over as a result nevertheless. The only damage suffered was a nasty cut to my eyebrow area received when the exposed part of my face somehow hit the tank. Wouldn't have happened had I had the helmet closed.
On the + side as my face took the hit I don't have to change the helmet. :D

SledDog's response is virtually identical to mine...on my metric sportbike, always full face and protective leather...on my Harley...full face when cold, half helmet with flipup faceshield when warm or hot.

Funny, when I got the Harley, I really liked the wind in my face...due to the relaxed riding pace, typically 60 or so! It always brings me back to my early riding roots. Like what was said earlier, just a matter of personal preference.

But I really do not like the wind in my face on my Metric, I rely on good ventilation and anti-fog treated faceshield down all the way, even behind a fairing in quiet zone tucked on the tank. I guess I don't like the distraction & wind noise, especially want concentration during spirited rides at 70+, while in the twisties or long canyon sorties "--at the Pace."

Minnesota does not have a helmet law so nobody is forced to wear one. Once in a while I ride without, but most of the time I do wear one. I feel safer around cages wearing one. I tend to wear a 1/2 during warmer and modular full when it is cooler.

Back