free website stats program What part of lane do you ride? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

What part of lane do you ride?

I'm with Dbmg...typically use left center and adjust to road conditions. I use the best perceived separation from oncoming road hazards, road surface traction, visibility and escape route. Clearly on twisty mountain roads with blind, off camber turns...this is a challenge on sportbike at speed. On a Harley being just a bit "lazy" in the handling and with copious amounts of torque....not so much a spirited ride, a much more relaxed and enjoyable riding style, allowing the pilot to stay closer to center 3rd of your road way. :)

I only ride in the left side of my lane, giving myself as much room as possible from the woods, I've had two bears and too many deer to count run out in front of me this year. You must pay attention here but I'd rather deal with natures animals than the crazys in the big city.

I try to ride where oncoming traffic can see me best. Ive had too many people try to pass after car in front of me goes by heading right for me and swerving back at last second. people are in such a hurry.

I use my whole side depending on where I think the danger might come from. Even a couple three feet could be the difference between making it or not...

I only ride in the left side of my lane, giving myself as much room as possible from the woods, I've had two bears and too many deer to count run out in front of me this year. You must pay attention here but I'd rather deal with natures animals than the crazys in the big city.

IMO, that is a good idea...also, if you see a deer cross in front of you, slow down because there is always more than one.

Last edited by a moderator:
On multi-lane roads I try to stay in the left lane unless someone is moving faster than I am. I move around a lot within the lane I'm riding in. I try to keep myself in the outside rearview mirror of whatever cage I'm coming up on/passing. (If I can see them in their mirror, they can see me).

Be careful with that thought. They may see you but they do not compute what they are seeing and still invade your space......

Exactly right dbmg!! I liken that to my wife talking to me and I'm nodding my head in agreement while I'm reading the paper. I'm hearing her, but I haven't processed a darned thing! Especially as I have gotten older, I can't multi task like I used to and get away with it! :s

Exactly right dbmg!! I liken that to my wife talking to me and I'm nodding my head in agreement while I'm reading the paper. I'm hearing her, but I haven't processed a darned thing! Especially as I have gotten older, I can't multi task like I used to and get away with it! :s

No horizonchaser, the Misses call that selective hearing. And to the multi tasking, its the things that are important to you that you can multi task...:lolrolling

Back