free website stats program What is it with HD and torx fixings? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What is it with HD and torx fixings?

Amen on the impact driver , I got one 38 years ago when I was working part time in a Yamaha shop , always used it to break loose the phillips head screws on the Jap bikes with out it all those heads wouls have been stripped . LOL that was before the invention of Torx , guess I am getting old . BTW I still have it and it works great plus it was made in the USA by H.K.PORTER .

I am another that does not like torx fasteners but i do like my impact driver have had it since i was a young rider and it has helped me out on a lot of occasions
Mind you i do have a cold chisel and a mangled large flat head screwdriver that have managed to get a fastener off when all else has failed

Brian

Being a Auto Mechanic the industry is always changing fasteners every year, I think to keep us from doing it ourselves.Torx then saftey torx and theres a new type ive seen on clutches, more rounded edges. Yea you need a impact driver and quality tools like Snap-on. Plus the quality of fasteners is bad. :(

A number of people nailed it all about robots and automated production lines, a curse from the bean counters...not just HD every where now...and then they get to sell more tools...

Went to swap the engine guards from my old bike to my new 1200C. They came off the old bike no problem; wee drop of WD40 and the hex bolts came out easy.
The mounting for the guards on the new bike is the same except, instead of just ordinary bolts (that you can easily get a wrench on) HD, of course, decided to use torx heads. Using T45 the first one came out OK but the other one would'nt shift. It's like it's welded in there! Now, despite being as careful as I could, I've stripped the head:wall
What should have been a 15 minute job has turned into a lot of hassle...
Got me thinking, what was so wrong with plain old bolts that HD felt it necessary to change to Torx? If it aint broke why fix it?
Man I do not like torx. Rant over:(

Amen!

Back