free website stats program What is it with HD and torx fixings? | Harley Davidson Forums

What is it with HD and torx fixings?

RAWLDYMAN

Went to swap the engine guards from my old bike to my new 1200C. They came off the old bike no problem; wee drop of WD40 and the hex bolts came out easy.
The mounting for the guards on the new bike is the same except, instead of just ordinary bolts (that you can easily get a wrench on) HD, of course, decided to use torx heads. Using T45 the first one came out OK but the other one would'nt shift. It's like it's welded in there! Now, despite being as careful as I could, I've stripped the head:wall
What should have been a 15 minute job has turned into a lot of hassle...
Got me thinking, what was so wrong with plain old bolts that HD felt it necessary to change to Torx? If it aint broke why fix it?
Man I do not like torx. Rant over:(

Amen brother. I have never understood the torx thing. When did it start? Why Why Why. What is wrong with bolts. And don't give the their pretty stuff. Is there and engineering reason? At least use hex heads!!!!!

Torx head fasteners (male and female) are used because they are faster to get a automated tool on during assembly. I guess the bean counters figured out saving a second here and there assembling the bikes would add to the profit. I am another non admirer of torx fasteners. :no

Amen brother. I have never understood the torx thing. When did it start? Why Why Why. What is wrong with bolts. And don't give the their pretty stuff. Is there and engineering reason? At least use hex heads!!!!!

You can thank GM for this one. Kent Moore makes the tools for GM and HD so Guess who designed the fasteners:s

Like Breeze and Jack said, but I look at it this way...be thankful H-D decided NOT to use Phillips head fasteners developed in 1937, just in time to make assembly even faster in WWII. After Phillips aka "cross point headed" fasteners...Torx is not "that" bad, and I agree Hex "Allen" socket headed fasteners are usually hardened and hold up the best.

Like, Glider said...an Impact tool and heat (if you have Locktite in the treads" can make dealing with Torx fasteners a lot easier AND don't reuse them if you have even a "hint" of possible damage. :s

Agree that torx are not exactly the best. Replaced most of them on the bike with chrome allen head.

Back