free website stats program What did u give up? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

What did u give up?

I purchased my first Harley, my 77 FXE, by selling my race bikes. This shovelhead got topends while I missed meals and worn torn jeans. One time I even "missed" my rent to put tires on her. It was tough the next month making 2 rent payments. My FXE was my only road bike for many years, until I acquired my first year (1994) Road King. I, again, sold my race bikes to purchase my 96 FXD.

Since I was not riding them much I mothballed my Harleys. Any of my bikes, except my Harleys and Ducati 996 SPS, are subject to be sold at any time. I sacrificed much to obtain and maintain my Harleys.

I'm the first owner of all of them. They hold a special place in my heart, and now my home. I'm sure, at some point, they will be back on the road.

But for now they share my home, to be admired, fawned over and loving touched (then cleaned to remove the fingerprints). The room they grace is a place were friends and family come to relax and share riding stories. They are more then just bikes, they are part of my family. And like family, you do what you need to, to keep them safe.

What I gave up was buying things I didn't need with money I didn't have! Twenty years ago I lived like a monk for two years, paid off all my loans and credit cards. I started an emergency fund, savings account and started paying cash for everything, if I couldn't afford it, I didn't really need it. Luckily for me I met a woman who was doing the same thing and together we own our home, she has two cars Saab 9-5 and 900 convertible, I have a Road Glide and a loaded pickup all bought used and paid for with cash. We take several vacations each year and have money in the bank.

This may sound like bragging (it may be) but we are proud of what we have accomplished. Dave Ramsey was our inspiration. If you can get his radio broadcast you will hear stories like ours every day. It's not easy, but the reward is worth the effort. Look at the interest you are paying each month and imagine that you were putting that in savings instead. We did and it was a shock to say the least.

What I gave up was buying things I didn't need with money I didn't have! Twenty years ago I lived like a monk for two years, paid off all my loans and credit cards. I started an emergency fund, savings account and started paying cash for everything, if I couldn't afford it, I didn't really need it. Luckily for me I met a woman who was doing the same thing and together we own our home, she has two cars Saab 9-5 and 900 convertible, I have a Road Glide and a loaded pickup all bought used and paid for with cash. We take several vacations each year and have money in the bank.

This may sound like bragging (it may be) but we are proud of what we have accomplished. Dave Ramsey was our inspiration. If you can get his radio broadcast you will hear stories like ours every day. It's not easy, but the reward is worth the effort. Look at the interest you are paying each month and imagine that you were putting that in savings instead. We did and it was a shock to say the least.

Keep the dream GOing:D I fine it nice not paying for sombody eales vacations
I can go and have fun now. It only tuk me 40 years. When you use sombody eales money you have no rights to have fun

well i gave up allot of weekends...had to work lotts of overtime to get my first harley paid off since then i've sold it and bought my current ride a 06RoadKing no payments on it....well i have anouther Roadking also but its forsale and a whole diff story lol

Back in 98, after not having been on a bike in twenty years, I bought a new FLSTF with some vacation pay I had acquired by working 25 days out of the year for a company that had laid me off. I had a new full time job at the time but worked weekends for the old employer to get those 25 days in and get that three weeks vacation pay. Put a down payment on the bike and went home to bed and stared at the ceiling most of the night wondering how I'd tell my wife I was taking out a loan the same week we were awaiting approval for refinancing the house. Anyway, she was livid and hated me and that bike until I finally got her on for a ride and then spent three hundred bucks on riding gear for her at a swap meet. She liked how she looked in leather. Soon after, she was filling both saddlebags and strapping junk onto the rear fender and scratching the paint...so I traded it in for a Roadking. Couldn't keep her off of that and have since added racks and a tour pack with a rack and she fills all of that up with the things women like to take along on trips. She suggested we buy a trailer but I figure if it comes to that then we'll just leave the bike at home and take the (Edit) car!
Can't say I've given up as much as this bike has given back to me. Three cross country trips, a trip out and around Lake Superior and a few trips up to Nova Scotia.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Art cool story glad your wife likes riding now my wife loves it 2 allways a big + when the wife loves motorcycles also....

Back