free website stats program Wet Bike | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wet Bike

No problem. Yes it was interesting. first time I read it, too. I'm spraying my bike tomorrow. If it also loosens any rust/dirt when it's cleaned off the bike will be even sweeter.

Ive been doing this for about 9 years with no problems.The only downside is removing it when ready to ride..Ive found diluteing whitewall cleaner in a spray bottle to work very well.Spray the bike down, then wash as you usualy would.

I'm glad you added the way you get it off WYW, cause that was gonna be my next question. Its good to know it won't harm the paint . Just waiting for another weird temp. swing to see if the plywood is all I need.

I agree with Smitty. I covered my bike with a bed sheet and everytime I lifted the cover up the bike was soaked. I just stop using the cover all together now. I usually go out once a month in the winter and wipe the whole bike down and throw some chrome polish on all the chrome and the wheels.

Ken, your stock on WD-40 just went up...WhatYardWork and WD-40...hmmm...could it be a pairing like Glider and Pledge...? :small3d028:

Used WD-40 on my exotic 1970 ITALAVEGA 10-Speed Roadracer all over, including the wheelrim/brakes made the old style Campagnolo sidepull performance brakes operate chatter free and remove road/chain grime off the back wheel sidewalls great (don't get it on the tread area). Great stuff for my Metric sportbike, kept it corrosion free and smells okay too! :small3d026:

WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion-a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try. Please see Our History for more information.

WD-40 Frequently Asked Questions

Last edited:
I park my bike in an uninsulated garage and have never had condensation problems. The best thing to do is figure out why there is so much moisture in your garage which is not good with or without a bike.

If the floor is cement you could use a water seal, thus eleminating moisture coming up through the floor. Second, I would check around the paremeter of the garage and make sure any rain water flows away from the garage. Not sure of the type roof you have but some sort of ridge vent would help with air circulation and help keep the garage dry.

Mac stand by soon I will have a few pictures of one wat to deal with. with out pouring a new floor.
I just had to do this :)

A cement floor that sweats will do so under the right condition if it is not insulated and vapor baire put down it always will.
heres one low cost Idea garage in a garage.
Heavy plastic down on floor if you like put down some wood.
Then put this up shown with door open.
100_0314.jpg

100_0313.jpg

Im thinking a cover with a Golden Rod heater used in Gun safes would work well for keeping moisture off .. its what i use in my gun safe to keep the moisture down

Going to tell wife it was for granchildern stroller notice center front.
Bike just happen to fit also.

There you go, double duty...everyone wins!

A true veteran, knows everything has its' place... :small3d031:

Last edited:
My Bike stays in my shop, cement deck. I purchase a heavy duty rubber mat to park the bike on. the bike stays covered, never had any problems.

...No mention of Howard's planes so I guess that part was just tacked on by someone with a big imigination....

Might not be imagination. WD-40 was invented in '53. HH contracted out to buy 63 Convair 880's in '56, but the deal was held up by creditors wanting HH to relinquish control of TWA and that wasnt settled until '60.
It's not to far fetched to see 63 Convair 880's sitting out on a ramp for a few years rusting away. WD-40 history says that Convair was the first to use it during that same time frame for rust and corrosion control on the Atlas missile.

Hey Hows it going I am new here I'm in upstate NY I just got a 04 low rider . I have the same problem . My garage is unheated so when you get metal cold and the air temp rises fast it sweats . and I don't like it . The other day it happened to mine i went out and wiped everything down ao it dried fast then the next day i re waxed everything . Its like an indoor swimming pool with out a dehumidification system . i don't want to pay to heat my whole garage so i am thinking of taking a corner next to a heated wall and laying down a 4x8 sheet of poly then a 1" sheet of Tuff-R foam board then lay a sheet of 1/2 " aspinate on that so the kickstand doesn't go thru . Then take 2 more 4x8 sheets and 2 4x4 sheets of aspinate and fasten a 2x2 along the edges and screw them together around the bike .Then take a full 4x8 sheet and lay it on the top . I would then take a couple sheets of 1" Tuff-r foam board and stand them up on the inside of the box . basically i am thinking of making a 4x8 insulated box to keep the bike in and putting a small hydronic radiator that they sell at the hardware store and set it at 60' . i think the box would remain at 60 regardless of the weather and there would be no condensation . It can be reused next yr and it should be cheaper than paying storage . I'm not sure if the dealers have heated storage either .
I also think it would work well to have a small enclosed trailer thats insulated and drill a hole in the side of it and leave a small heater inside it set at 60' all winter
Look forward to talking with you
Roy
NY

Last edited:
Back