free website stats program Wet Bike | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wet Bike

You may try to lay a piece of 4x8 plywood on the floor and park your bike on it and see if it helps. I parked mine in a 10x13x7 un-insulated metal shed with plywood floor and cover the bike with an el cheapo bike's cover from wally world, no moisture on the bike, the bike stays dry(but cold) during the last heavy snow we got, I just sholved my way to the shed and checking on the bike again, no sweat that I can see, the cover stay dry too.

Plywood is a good idea, and a moister grabber, too.

If the lightbulb is scary, put a heating pad set on high under the bike.

I had the same problem. Dripping wet bike on certain days in the winter in an unheated garage with cement floors.

This worked and was cheap:

I got a big piece of POLY 6 mil, at the hardware store and some big silica Gel packets on line. Laid the poly on the floor, carefully drove the bike on it (the poly is slippery) on a nice dry day. Put the Silica gel around the bike and on the seat, put old blankets over the bike pulled the poly up around the bike and rolled the seams together. Then using a office stapler I tacked the seams together. After they are tacked I went over the seams with duct tape.

In the Spring reverse the process, save the poly and the Silica Gel. Next fall do it all over again except dry the Silica in a microwave oven before reuse.

does the bike get wet only when covered, or does it make no difference? My bikes in an uninsulated,unheated garage with a concrete floor. I live in Spokane, Wa. and we have 4 feet of snow right now and it rains all the time and my bike is never wet from sitting in the garage. But I don't put a cover on it when it's in the garage either.

Let me try to answer some of these questions. I live near the Memphis Tn. area. One night last week it got down to 17 and the last three days have been in the 70s. The sweeting seems to occur mostly when it goes from cold to warm and when it does all my tools in the shop get wet as well. I keep spraying WD40 on my drill press, lathe, bandsaw and all the other tools.
Don't think I'd like to wrap it up with the blankets and poly, as we never know when we'll have a pretty day like today. I put it on plywood a couple of nights ago and it hasn't got wet since. We'll see the next time we have a big temp. swing. I haven't used the cover since I placed it on the plywood. And before someone suggest it, I don't want to spray my bike down WD40..although, that would keep the water off of it, hum

Let me try to answer some of these questions. I live near the Memphis Tn. area. One night last week it got down to 17 and the last three days have been in the 70s. The sweeting seems to occur mostly when it goes from cold to warm and when it does all my tools in the shop get wet as well. I keep spraying WD40 on my drill press, lathe, bandsaw and all the other tools.
Don't think I'd like to wrap it up with the blankets and poly, as we never know when we'll have a pretty day like today. I put it on plywood a couple of nights ago and it hasn't got wet since. We'll see the next time we have a big temp. swing. I haven't used the cover since I placed it on the plywood. And before someone suggest it, I don't want to spray my bike down WD40..although, that would keep the water off of it, hum

Have a 96 springer and been using the wd on it for years..It works, just wipe it off the rubber and your good to go.Not a spec of rust between the springs.Most think its crazy, dont care..it works.

Here it is 4 years ago after a paint job.That fog on the chrome is wd hard at work.Youll find another pic this summer of the bike in the softail section.Still no rust.

100_0196.jpg

Last edited:
Have a 96 springer and been using the wd on it for years..It works, just wipe it off the rubber and your good to go.Not a spec of rust between the springs.Most think its crazy, dont care..it works.

mines wet now after going from about zero for a couple weeks to 60 and rain all day yesterday .. blah

Gary, the reason I cover it is because I build trailers in the garage and with all the cutting, welding and grinding it gets a lot of metal dust on it. And to WYW, thats a fine looking ride you posted there. I was joking about using the WD40, but after your post, it could be a consideration. You may or may not know that is the way WD40 got its start, or so I'm told. After the 40th try at mixing a formular to be used as a "water dispersant", the inventor of WD40 gave Howard Hughs a batch to use on some airplanes that were parked outside that had rust forming on some of the steel parts. When Howard saw how well it stopped the rust from forming he backed the prduct and as they say, "the rest is history.

WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion-a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try. Please see Our History for more information.

WD-40 Frequently Asked Questions

Very interesting Ken. Now I have the rest of the story. No mention of Howard's planes so I guess that part was just tacked on by someone with a big imigination.
So looks like its safe to spray it on my bike, if I need to.. Thanks Ken

Very interesting Ken. Now I have the rest of the story. No mention of Howard's planes so I guess that part was just tacked on by someone with a big imigination.
So looks like its safe to spray it on my bike, if I need to.. Thanks Ken

No problem. Yes it was interesting. first time I read it, too. I'm spraying my bike tomorrow. If it also loosens any rust/dirt when it's cleaned off the bike will be even sweeter.

Back