free website stats program WARNING - Caution when fueling | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

WARNING - Caution when fueling

Around here the bottom line is profit for the gas stations. So...
If handle is leaking, so what...
If hose is leaking, so what...
If automatic shutoff is not working, so what...
They just don't, won't care.
I never set auto fill, I always hand fill everything, the time you save, might not be time saved if your in the burn ward.
wilks3
:USA

Oregon is one of two states where drivers are not allowed to pump gas -- except for motorcycles which always causes confusion at the pump. I always insist on pumping my own, and never use to auto cut-off -- even if it takes a little longer to fill. One spill was enough.

Re: WARNING - Caution when fueling (or working around fuel)

Absolutely right. The difference in time it takes is NOT worth the risk.

The danger of ignition in this situation even just from the pipes means that this is a very close call. That is why I put this warning out so that everyone thinks about how dangerous this is and how lucky I was in this situation.

Then I had to ride the bike with gas soaked clothes. Evaporated quickly, but still worrisome.

TQ

Glad to hear you escaped as well as you did! Just a little story about the gas on your clothes. My son was working for a marina here on the lake a couple of years ago. During the day, while switching a couple of carry-on style gas tanks around, some gasoline splashed onto my boy's pants. They wiped the excess off with a shop rag and the day went by uneventually. That night on the way home from work, the boy stopped at a buddy's house for a quick round of horseshoes and a beer or two. Between rounds he walked over to join the group that was warming around a bonfire. (Adirondack evenings can get cool even in mid summer!) As he stood there, his pantleg suddenly burst into flames! He hastily beat out the flames, but not before receiving some nasty burns both on his leg but his hands and wrist. This was about a minimum of seven hours after the gas sloshing incident. Fortunately, he had a pair of jeans on that were well worn and that had a slight hole in the one knee allowing him to rip that lower leg off relatively quickly. The scars are there and pretty nasty looking, but for all that were witness, an invaluable lesson was taught!
Even though dry, the fumes still existed. Just waiting for a chance to surprise someone. Now, he didn't get hit by a spark, it was just the heat that caused the ignition. Suppose this had happened while riding? Having it flare up maybe sitting at a light as his leg was near the head pipe! I shudder to think of the possible consequences! Just think about things like this that "can't possibly happen" and conduct yourself accordingly. Then maybe his scars will have saved someone's life!

T Q, I just read this all I can say is this could have been alot worse I am glad you are OK. I have seen a few bikes burn up while fueling and it is not pretty

Around here the bottom line is profit for the gas stations. So...
If handle is leaking, so what...
If hose is leaking, so what...
If automatic shutoff is not working, so what...
They just don't, won't care.
I never set auto fill, I always hand fill everything, the time you save, might not be time saved if your in the burn ward.
wilks3

If you run into any of these at a gas station you need to report it to the nearest Fire Marshall. If you can't find one report it to the nearest fire station.

You know I never thought of that! Good point. They will get 1 warning and I will go talk to the fire marshall. Complaining to manager didn't help.
wilks3

A timely reminder. I have always controlled the flow by pressure on the lever and stop and start the flow as I fill. I always wear my eye protection when filling in case of splashback hitting me in the eye/s. Often wear my gloves n helmet too-if you get a flamer you have a few seconds of protection.
Glad to hear all was well in this case.

Around here, they are not allowed to have the locking nozzles on self service pumps which I think is a good idea myself.

Glad it wasn't any worse than it was TQ.

No locking levers in Mass either right now.......but we do have those silly "bellows" seals that are supposed to keep the fumes down. On a car they work fine but on a bike they are a pain. You have to pull back the "bellow" with one hand to get the lever to engage and then set the nozzle into the tank and then squeeze the handle. On a car you just push the bellow down and you are good to go. One time I pulled back on the "bellow" and gas shot out without me even squeezing the handle! I talked to the manager and he said what happens every now and then is that the "bellow" seals too tightly when the last customer fills up and it actually pressurizes the system a little bit........the next guy gets sprayed when they use it! I would think a tiny bit of escaping vapor is better than getting sprayed! Anyway.......when using the bellow systems now I point it well away from my bike and body before pulling back!

Also there are a few towns in Mass that have forced full service.......don't know why......but one town is where I work. The first time I pulled in after they enacted the law the attendant came out and said he had to fill my bike now........I told him no way he was touching my bike........and he did let me fill my own after I told him I fill up there every other day and would have to take my business elsewhere if he would not let me fill my own! $$$$ talks!

Yea I don't trust those locking fuel handles. They were handy many years ago when I worked pumping gas and it gave me time to check under the hood. But don't trust them.

Also I'm sure you guys know that cell phones can start fires at gas areas and many stations have signs posted saying no cell phone use in the pump area same as smoking. But every now and again I still see some character talking on their phone while they are gasing up.

Thanks for the warning T Q.

Glad it was only a wipe down for you, the potential for disaster was there.

I never set the auto lever on my bike or gas cans, on the bike I never have it set at full bore when putting gas in the tank, a small amount splashes out.

Another warning when filling gas cans, always take them out of your vehicle and put them on the ground, it negates any chance of a flash fire from build up static electricty.:newsmile03:

Back