free website stats program WARNING - Caution when fueling | Harley Davidson Forums

WARNING - Caution when fueling

TQuentin1

Staff member
Folks,

This may have been covered before, but it is an important warning and is probably worth repeating.

I stopped to fill up my tank today. After adding the 2oz. of MMO, I entered all my cc info in the pump and then stuck the nozzle in the tank, pulled the handle and set the latch holding the nozzle flowing full bore. The nozzle was one of those (like all seem to be these days) that had the spring loaded seal on the top end of the nozzle that is supposed to seal against the vehicle fill tube to minimize vapor emissions. Well as I turned to put things away while the tank filled, the nozzle jumped out of the tank spraying gas all over the bike, my jeans and boots and then the ground. About 3/4 gallons sprayed out all over things before I got the nozzle shut back down.

This could have been a very serious situation. As it turned out it was just an inconvenience as I had to wipe down the seat and some of the other parts of the bike that were drenched with gas.

So, lesson learned - DO NOT SET THE LATCH OR HOLD ON THE GAS LINE TO HOLD THE VALVE OPEN AND FILL YOUR GAS TANK. Stand there and manually hold the valve open until your tank is full.

TQ

To tell you the truth i never set the latch, I hold the nozzle in my hand till the tank is filled, Just for that reason. Even when filling extra gas tanks i hold the nozzle.

So glad all you had to do was wipe! I have seen the results of a 'quick' burn at a fuel pump. Very good advice. Glad no one was injured.

BRIAN

Around here, they are not allowed to have the locking nozzles on self service pumps which I think is a good idea myself.

Glad it wasn't any worse than it was TQ.

So I'm not paranoid, it really does happen. I'm always a little wary of that happening so I do manually hold the fuel nozzle and watch closely so as not to overfill.

For the time it takes to fill the bike, it just isn't worth taking that chance on the nozzle lock. Glad nothing went boom. Just one little spark and things could have turned from bad to worse:cheers

For the time it takes to fill the bike, it just isn't worth taking that chance on the nozzle lock. Glad nothing went boom. Just one little spark and things could have turned from bad to worse:cheers

Absolutely right. The difference in time it takes is NOT worth the risk.

The danger of ignition in this situation even just from the pipes means that this is a very close call. That is why I put this warning out so that everyone thinks about how dangerous this is and how lucky I was in this situation.

Then I had to ride the bike with gas soaked clothes. Evaporated quickly, but still worrisome.

TQ

I always hold the nozzle when filling my bike, it only holds 6 gallons if it was empty and I try to ride on the top half of the tank. With my truck or the wife's car I just set the latch and let it rip.

Never hurts to repeat a good lesson on safety - thanks TQuentin1. The Fantastic-4 can only have one Human Torch...:s

The pumps we use everyday are designed to be used on cages, not gerry cans or motorcycles. One of these things we riders put up with, along with tar snakes and slippery when wet white paint on asphalt etc. Things the powers that be, just don't get.
I am one of those guys that has a problem at the pumps, from time to time. I have learned my lesson many times, I know to concentrate, but stuff happens. A pretty girl asks a question while I'm almost filled up, a cage honks their horn, I sneeze or fart or whatever and wham... Sometimes a little gas, sometimes (not often) an enviromental disaster on my Harley.
Just one of those things... I just ride away everytime, and that is lucky enough for me.

Back