free website stats program Warm-up duration | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Warm-up duration

During Winter, I'll bust off the bike, then suit up and such, a good 5 minutes or so. Usually plenty warm by the time I throw a leg over it. Summer time, I just crank it and roll out with maybe 30-45 seconds warm up.

Once a week I'll do a walk around and look for potential problems, but not every time I get on it. So far, so good... 68 walk-a-rounds, 0 issues!:D

I use the cruise control to warm it up on a little higher idle after the enrichner. Then I'll get the gear put on.My bike hates to run cold. lornes trick with the back of the finger works great too !!

As my bikes are all evo engines i do warm up for a wee while before setting off and i do take it easy for the first couple of miles
But then i also do that with my car although i do not do as long a warm up with the car as i do with the bikes

Brian

Yup, thanks all. I do allow at least 2 minutes before taking off and some good miles when it is real cold until I do any higher rev stuff. My only concern is waking up my better half and my neighbors should there be the case that it needs to run for 5 minutes or longer, AT 3 AM!!!:bigsmiley30:

used to have the same probs at my old place with a Ducati 900ss and before that the Norton commando mk3. In London if u stretch out your arms you can touch both sides of the street. i used to walk the bike up or down the street and vary the warm up spot. share the joy wid all the neighbours :D Had some complaints but kept the wife happy :D :D :D

New place has a drive way and big front garden so nps wid Harley

I just start up for and pull off. Of course easy riding for the first couple miles. I do not like to leave running on jiffy stand for any length of time. Same procedure what ever the temp is.

I do the same with a Twin Cam, I start it up and idle off taking it easy in first and second gear for a few blocks. Evo motors I always waited til the rocker boxes were warm to the touch:s

I don't like to irritate the neighbors, so I don't rev the motor, and take off slowly, and high idle down the long gravel drive to the subdivision's entry to the highway..about a quarter mile....it's warm by then, and I've not put any strain on anything...

I use the cruise control to warm it up on a little higher idle after the enrichner. Then I'll get the gear put on.My bike hates to run cold. lornes trick with the back of the finger works great too !!

Cruise control on an '02 Wide Glide? Are you talking about the throttle lock?

used to have the same probs at my old place with a Ducati 900ss and before that the Norton commando mk3. In London if u stretch out your arms you can touch both sides of the street. i used to walk the bike up or down the street and vary the warm up spot. share the joy wid all the neighbours :D Had some complaints but kept the wife happy :D :D :D

New place has a drive way and big front garden so nps wid Harley

Hey howo, I really liked your comment about "dealing with the neighbors". Sometimes it really bothers me to know that they can hear me, but other times I hope they know that it could be worse, like gunshots or screams, etc... And if I can only keep my wife happy that is really all that matters to me. I don't live with my neighbors!:newsmile036::newsmile036:

I let it warm up in the mornings, neighbors not so much as a concern but their little lap dog. As soon as it hears me hit the starter button, the dog will start barking and the neighbor has told me several times it will not stop barking until I am well out of the neighborhood.

Back