free website stats program Voltage Fluctuation | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Voltage Fluctuation

I would say a def. regulator. Call them about their warranty. I looked at DB Elect. web for '05 reg on FLTCHI and didn't see one. Are you sure you got the correct one? You should be able to X-ref. the oem p/n(74505-04) to there units. Made in China may have something to do with it also.
tourbox

Hi,

Thanks tourbox for the reply. The more I think about it I also believe it was a defective regulator. Like I said in my previous post the regulator started smoking when I got back to my garage ... at least that is when I noticed it. I hit a couple of red lights and a a few stop signs after the voltage dropped below 12. I did not notice any smoke until I got home.

After I shut off the bike the smoking got worse and worse ... it was REALLY pouring out. When I went to start it a few hours later to check the stator output it was dead ... Maxi Fuse burnt out. I replaced the fuse and the bike started up fine.

I think the regulator shorted out and began drawing battery current. It drew more and more until it blew the fuse.

I will check with DB Elec. Their website said it was a replacement for part74505-04. It had all the correct wires and connectors.

Does any one know of a regulator not made in China ... except for Harley OEM.

Thanks

Steve

Cycle Electric makes some good products. Also Bikers Choice/Tucker Rocky , Drag Specialties, Dennis Kirk, & J&P cycles are after market dealers. They are all on the web. They will be more $$ than the one you bought.
tourbox

Hi,

I bought a new regulator from Drag Specialties. Put it on today. Started the bike and checked the battery voltage. It was about 14.38 to 14.48 volts at about 1500 RPM.

I ran the bike for a minute or so.After I shut it off I felt the regulator.It was warm

I never touched the regulator before ... should it be warm after a minute or so running. Just for info it was about 90 degrees or so in the garage.

Don't want to seem paranoid but after burning one up I want to be sure.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi,

Thanks for all the help. I have been riding and everything seems okay. Looks like the regulator from DB Electrics was defective.

While I won't buy another one from them they did say to return it for a refund.

Thanks again,

Steve

Thanks for the update, seems it was a faulty regulator. Not the first time I've seen electrical components bad right out of the box.

Back