free website stats program Visibility: LIGHTS | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Visibility: LIGHTS

With a Harley Cruiser (or any make/model with this setup), which do you believe INCREASES your DAYTI

• Ride with you high beams on.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • No high beams. Just ride with your big light and 2 spots on.

Votes: 71 91.0%
  • doesnt matter drive as defensively as you can

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Most of my riding is during daylight hours. I ride with my headight on high and the driving lamps on.
I believe that the extra lighting increases the visibilty to other motorists, which should make us somewhat safer (hopefully).
Perhaps it's my imagination, but since I've added the driving lamps, it seems I get a little more respect from the cagers.

On my RK I ride with the low beam and spots on but, on my Fat Bob I ride with the High beam on day and night (most of the time I forget to turn it to low). If someone flashes their lights at me because my high beam is on, I'll turn it to low and know that they at least see me too.:newsmile011:

And ALWAYS drive defensive because the cagers will look right at you and still cut you off.

Main low, passing lamps on. plus airwing rails with break light leds on the hard bags.

The latest scare in Europe is the European parliament trying to get all 2 wheelers to wear fluorescent costumes all the time by law. Day and night all weathers.... looking forward to those hot summer days ...stuck in traffic full leathers and fluorescent plastic suite !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Motorcycling is inherently dangerous as the average road user is not dependent on there good driving for there survival. 99% of bikers know if there not good there gonna end up in hospital.

however no amount of lights , fluorescent what not will save ya from the brain deads out there (ask your neighborhood cop how many times he,s had a close shave even with all his lights and fluorescents.....................

drive safe......learn your lessons well, but lets not get too paranoid

Dirung daylight hours, I ride with my high beams on.

You still have to ride defensively, but I've found that I will notice a bike with its high beams on from further than one with just lows and spots. If your dims are too dim, the cars can't judge how far you are and may (or in my experience will) pull out in front of you.

I support the light triangle.
Headlight modulators are good... but only work in daylight.... which... if you NEVER ride after dark, is fine....
Hi-viz gear works well also... but again, not so much, at night

The light triangle works well... day or night, and the bigger the triangle, the bigger you appear to a cager...

Now.... that's all good in theory..... but that supposes the driver is looking... and it's always good idea to suppose the driver AIN'T looking.....
I look out for cagers.... I don't trust them to be looking out for me

Another possibility not in the poll is the high beam with headlight modulator in the day time only.

I haven't put one on my Road King yet. The low beam plus two seems to be working pretty well.

But on my prior bike which had one headlight only, I noticed a HUGE difference in the way other drivers responded to just the light vs the light with modulator. If those were the only two options, I would consider the modulator to be the single most important safety feature you could add.

With the three lights, I'm not sure it would make that much difference. Of course, with the high beam on (for using the modulator), unless you re-wire, you would have a choice of high beam with modulator or low beam with three lights.

Apparently it's illegal to have high beam plus two lights.

I don't have driving lights on my FLSTF, just headlight and turnsignals up front. I run a headlight modulator during the day to increase my visibility. :)

Harley LED Headlight and LED driving lights. They work great for daytime visibility and night time driving. Best safety investment I've made in the bike !!

Back