free website stats program Valve train tapping? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Valve train tapping?

OK folks, I pulled the "new" B lifters out of the engine and went back in with the "old" ones. The new B lifters look the same as the ones that were originally in the engine (and are now BACK in the engine). See the pix below - the shot of 4 are the old ones, and the single is the new one. I set the pushrods on the old lifters at 3 turns and 2 flats. That would be 0.0417" x 3.333 = 0.139".

I could NOT see any signs that the adjustable pushrods were hitting the aluminium upper portion of the pushrod covers. But I put a taper on the inside of the lower mouth of the upper section. I aligned the lifter covers with the two oil pump alignment screws. I have not run around on the bike, just running the engine in the garage. We'll see!!

TQ

Attachments

• P4020034.jpg
    P4020034.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 32
  • P4040030.jpg
    P4040030.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 29
  • P4040032.jpg
    P4040032.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Well, I am dying to know if you solved you top end noise. I hate to say this but I bet the lifter change did not help or did it?

Well, I am dying to know if you solved you top end noise. I hate to say this but I bet the lifter change did not help or did it?

Not completely, although it seems better. There is still a tapping which sounds like a valve tap. Like I said way back, this bike MAY have been making this kind of noise BEFORE I did the conversion, but I was not paying attention to it. I may be expecting the impossible.

The other possibility is that I did have the Baisley spring in the old plate (in fact it is still there). So here is what I am gonna do:
  • Change the oil at 1,000 miles to Amsoil 20W-50 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCV) - currently 500 miles since conversion/oil change.
  • Evaluate sound of engine with new oil.
  • Replace oil pressure relief spring with Baisley if noise continues.
  • Evaluate sound of engine with these changes.
We'll see how that does.

TQ

TQ I must tell you that my engine is getting quite after 11000 miles. I am wondering if valve train has gotten tighter with the mileage and made the difference. It is sounding so nice now that I am wondering if the old saying is true, that they always run strong just befor they blow. I sure hope not. Any how what is happening with your tapping.

Ken

Since we are on this topic I have a question myself. I just had the cams replaced due to wear. They replaced the bearings, lifters, shoes and chains. Replaced the push rods with adjustable SE. They said they adjusted the p/r to zero and 2.5 turns. I have a tapping noise coming in at about 2300 rpm and gets louder at 2500 rpm and up to I can't hear it for the wind. It is quiet up to those points. I took it back to them and they put it on the dyno and ran it. I got their blessings and left. What do ya'll think... loose p/r?

Respects...Joe

Could be the PR if they didn't let them bleed down enough before adjusting them or even a problem lifter.

Could be the PR if they didn't let them bleed down enough before adjusting them or even a problem lifter.

Just sitting here thinking back on the ride home that day. I was pleased with how quiet it was. The problem didn't come till the next morning when I left for work. I'd be willing to bet that is the problem....I hope!

I have to change my oil Saturday. I'll take a look at it then. I questioned the service tech about a loose p/r and he said it would make a noise all the time, but he said he had checked the heat shields for rattles....I found 2 loose when I got home...Go figure..

Thanks Glider!

Back