free website stats program Valve train tapping? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Valve train tapping?

Coming in on the tail end of this discussion, but install a Zippers pressure shim, and set the pushrods .140"-.150" into the lifter. Should be good to go.

Coming in on the tail end of this discussion, but install a Zippers pressure shim, and set the pushrods .140"-.150" into the lifter. Should be good to go.

This is all new stuff in the cam chest. Roller chain conversion kit. The pump is putting out well. I just readjusted the pushrods adding 1 1/2 flats to the standard 3 turn spec. That puts me in the .135+" range on the pushrods. I do have the Baisley spring in the old plate that I can use if the pressure goes down in the future.

This weekend, I am going back in with the old lifters to see what happens. With a stethoscope, the front cylinder seems to be where all this tapping is coming from. Sounds like it is the exhaust side, but that may just be the way sound travels. If the lifter change does not make any difference, then I am gonna pull the rocker box covers and see if there is any indication of contact inside. I am gonna relieve the web area some so that even if I can't see an indication of contact, there will be more room.

I will also check out the pushrod tubes as well to see if there is any sign of contact there. If I do all this and there is STILL tapping, I am gonna turn up the radio!!

TQ

Now you got the right idea TQ. Enjoy the tunes, and forget about the tapping. Like I said 10,000 miles and no issues. I will be home in a couple of weeks and then I will do some checking on mine.

Checked that out, and my old lifters definitely look like the one on the right. Got them soaking in Marvels. Gonna pop them in the bike this weekend to see what happens!!

Lifter.jpg

TQ

Hey TQ, You made the cam chest too quiet:D. The lifters pictured here here are Evo lifters. The TC's are different( actually Chevy lifters). my 03 parts catalog list the lifters as the 18536-99B lifter. A .495" lift won't hit the rocker boxes in a TC. On the Evos it was almost always the front exhaust you got the tic's from because of the angle of the push rod and you had to go another 1/2 turn on the rod or the push rod was rubbing against the cover. I know the angle on the front exhaust isn't as severe on a TC as an Evo and I don't know much about TC's but maybe it's the adjustment part of the rod rubbing against the cover.
Hope I'm not stepping on toes....check my mood :s

Hey TQ, You made the cam chest too quiet:D. The lifters pictured here here are Evo lifters. The TC's are different( actually Chevy lifters). my 03 parts catalog list the lifters as the 18536-99B lifter. A .495" lift won't hit the rocker boxes in a TC. On the Evos it was almost always the front exhaust you got the tic's from because of the angle of the push rod and you had to go another 1/2 turn on the rod or the push rod was rubbing against the cover. I know the angle on the front exhaust isn't as severe on a TC as an Evo and I don't know much about TC's but maybe it's the adjustment part of the rod rubbing against the cover.
Hope I'm not stepping on toes....check my mood :s

Yeah, but I didn't say my lifters WERE the one on the right, just that they LOOKED like that from the end view. I am not sure what the "B"s that I installed look like (didn't pay close enough attention), but I will find out on Saturday. Below is a shot of the old lifters.

Like I said above, the tapping I am hearing seemed to be coming from the top end of the front cylinder. I will swap out the lifters and check the pushrod tubes to see if I can see signs that the pushrods have been rubbing. If the sound goes away, the "new" lifters are bad. If not, something else is the problem. Gonna pull the rocker box covers to eliminate that as the possibility. If it is not the lifters, not the pushrod tubes, and not the covers, then I don't know what it is, and I am just gonna turn up the radio!!

TQ

Attachments

• P4020030.jpg
    P4020030.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 24
Sorry man...shouldn't type when I can hardly read. I see your bike is an 03 too. Be interested to see if the lifters in the bucket are the same as the "B" lifters you put in.

Sorry man...shouldn't type when I can hardly read. I see your bike is an 03 too. Be interested to see if the lifters in the bucket are the same as the "B" lifters you put in.

I can't see any sort of ID marking on the old ones, so unless the "B"s are marked some way, I will only be able to make a visual comparison. But I will take a shot or two to post here.

TQ

Yeah I don't recall any part numbers on the evo's lifters but the visual is obvious and from what I've been told HD went to the "B" lifter in 01 for TC's. Be interesting to see if they're the same and if the lifters are your cause of the tapping.
Good luck, hope you find it.

As a plan "B" (ha ha!) does anyone have a suggestion if I find that the pushrods are rubbing against the tubes? I suspect if this is the problem, the end assy is making contact with the bottom of the aluminum "top" tube. What are my options? I have already aligned the lifter cover so that it is where it is supposed to be. Can I trim the upper tube? Does someone make larger diameter covers? This is aggravating. I hope the old lifters solve the problem and it turns out to be a bad set of "B" lifters!!

TQ

TQ...Steady, no point in expecting the worst and digging in...it is probably something simple and best not stress out, either way you'll cross that bridge when you come to it...

Back