free website stats program Valve train noise | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Valve train noise

Thanks guys, I am going to do a little more checking as has been stated. If I do decide to change out is there a HD Part no. for the kit as I will have to go quite a way to a HD Dealer. No I took the adj out and my son did cut the first install.

Thanks again Seems like some very nice folks on this board

RED

RED, harley gives a book (big catalog) out for free.
called "YOUR CUSTOM STARTS HERE" .... genuine motor accessories & genuine motor parts

on page 493 it shows A. screaming eagle hydraulic cam chain tensioner plate upgrade kit #25284-08 fits 99/2006 $429.95 FOR YOUR BIKE

THAT is a lot of parts for very little $$.... oil pump , cam plate, tensioners, new gears to fit new style silent chain.... and a cam bearing brkt.

I spent over 1750$ on my conversion parts.......

I would of gone this way on my 2000 dyna but the kit wasn't offered back when i changed out...

good luck with this!
signed....BUBBIE

Thanks guys, I am going to do a little more checking as has been stated. If I do decide to change out is there a HD Part no. for the kit as I will have to go quite a way to a HD Dealer. No I took the adj out and my son did cut the first install.

Thanks again Seems like some very nice folks on this board

RED

IMHO, the best all around kit out there is put together by John Wadsworth (aka, Herko). Give him a call or drop him an email and have him send the parts list from his kit. Then price the stuff yourself from an HD supplier. I used John when I up-graded my bike to the roller-chain configuration. His kits are ALL inclusive. Everything you could think of. And he will get you the cams you want, adj. pushrods if you need them, and special tools too (from George's Garage).

Flying W Performance

TQ

Last edited:
I agree with TQ.

John's(Herko) kit is the way to go. I recently updated my bike using his kit and was very pleased. John is great to deal with and has a wealth of knowledge. The kit he sells is complete and he also has any of the "extras"(cams, adj. pushrods, sprockets, etc) that you may want.

I was wondering if I could get some advice on some valve train noise for my 99 FXDS? It has a build date of 1/1999 and has 9950 miles on it. I have always kept an eye on the tensioners and they show very little wear. As I was riding today I noticed an huge increase in valve train noise at cruising speeds without load. In the past you really had to pay attention to notice any valve train noise. Once I got home I inspected the tensioners again and still look to be in great shape.
Thanks in advance

I am sure this is an old question, but as i am new to harley davidson , has anyone came up with a fix for the noisy valve lifter, or valve train noise in the twin cam engine???????

Thanks red
Hi and welcome.
Yeah, the TC's are noisy.
I just turn up the radio. :s

FWIW...Both my Dyna and RK make upper engine noise and I switched to the 50w that Harley calls for ( 70 deg ) in the manual. Noise didn't dissapear but is a lot quiter.

USUALLY found to be true:

Synthetic 20/50 will be Noisier than single weight non synthetic oil...

HD calls out for 50 w or 60w for the bikes also.

HD calls out for EITHER syn-dino to be used. Your Choice...

There are Other Noises in the HD motor that many MISTAKE for Valve type noise.
The butterfly in the intake manifold Rattles and disappears at about 2300 rpm... Most think it to be the lifters...

I prefer Full Synthetic oils...Noise or not:D

signed....BUBBIE

Back