free website stats program UVC Fee? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

UVC Fee?

Take a Saturday and Sunday, make you a simple sign that says "talk to me before you buy from this dealer". Stand on the right of way(not dealership property) next to the dealership driveway. Dont appoarch anyone or say anything derogatory when you talk to people.When approached, just tell them your story just as you told it here. See how fast they change there mind about the 15 minute to return the bike.

The MOCO will just tell you that the dealerships are an independently owned and operated franchise and they have no say over their policies.

(They all do that) :lolrolling

The MOCO will just tell you that the dealerships are an independently owned and operated franchise and they have no say over their policies.

(They all do that) :lolrolling

Boss, I had a bad experience with a dealer here in Florida. I called my old salesman in MN. He gave me a phone number for a complaint manager @ the MOCO, I think I still have the number, Any way after a long phone call he told me the MOCO does use a star program, too many complaints = less stars less stars = less bikes no stars left franchise could be revoked:s

I know that if you finance a bike from a private party through an HD dealer there is a $500.00 fee on top of interest. Not sure if that is the fee you speak of or not.

Boss, I had a bad experience with a dealer here in Florida. I called my old salesman in MN. He gave me a phone number for a complaint manager @ the MOCO, I think I still have the number, Any way after a long phone call he told me the MOCO does use a star program, too many complaints = less stars less stars = less bikes no stars left franchise could be revoked:s

That's a good thing if they really practice that. I've heard many times that the MOCO just give you the brush and tell you what I posted above.

That's a good thing if they really practice that. I've heard many times that the MOCO just give you the brush and tell you what I posted above.

If I find that number and I will if I have to make a call I will post it:s

If you agree to a fee and sign a contract, not liking that fee does not seem much of a basis to void the contract after the fact.
No test rides on a used bike? Go elsewhere.
Fee you do not like? Explain that the sale is contingnent on the bottom line of the sales contract being reduced by that fee amount by whatever means neccessary.

That said, sometimes it is hard not to just say "heck with it" and buy the bike. Bikes are like that.

...I recently purchased a previously-owned, 2011, Fat Boy Lo. Overall, I am very pleased!...
Pez

Please understand, I am not standing up for the dealer, but, do you still like the bike?

...NOW what the dealership "claims" they said was that I had "15 minutes or 15 miles" to decide (in lieu of a test ride). Kinda convenient, huh, that they use the number "15". They say they call this a "courtesy ride" (but only given after signing the contract since they don't allow test rides)...

I'm not real clear on this, do you still have the bike, or, were you able to return it?

Take a Saturday and Sunday, make you a simple sign that says "talk to me before you buy from this dealer". Stand on the right of way(not dealership property) next to the dealership driveway. Dont appoarch anyone or say anything derogatory when you talk to people.When approached, just tell them your story just as you told it here. See how fast they change there mind about the 15 minute to return the bike.

This sounds like a real good idea! Be careful! As much as I'm sure you want to, don't get into a shouting match or a fist fight. If you hold your ground, do it the right way, they will lose more money with you standing out front than cutting you some slack on the "UVC" fee.

If you still have the bike I recommend you enjoy it even if you paid a little more than you should have. Simply take your future business elsewhere. In a few weeks you'll forget the price and have a dopey grin on your face that can't be wiped off!
If you can get out of the deal without a lot of grief, take your money to another dealer. Please, do NOT let this one experience sour your opinion on ALL Harley dealers.

When I bought my bike I went to two dealers. One tried to stick it to me, the other made everything right.

I wish you well!

Cheers!

Hey all; back again.

Some really good, solid replies here; I like the input!

dbmg: I didn't contact the DMV, I contacted my state's department of transportation (AZ DOT). Even though they did confirm the date that my plate/ tags were sent out, and that indeed the dealership sat on my stuff for a month even though I paid them a fee for this, AZ DOT said they can't get involved any further than this as it will become a "civil case", and if I want to pursue it, then that's up to me.

Contact a local news channel? We're on the same page! :) I've already sent in a submission to a local television station here in AZ that does a consumer protection piece about this dealership since having my unpleasant experience with them. Although, the TV station informs all submitters that they receive MANY submissions and they can't always address them all.

And Better Business Bureau? We're on the same page again!! I've already filed a complaint with them in regard to this dealership.

Local magistrate office? I haven't done that. Are you basically talking about contacting a lawyer? I've thought about that, but, I don't have a lot of money to throw around and would want it to be cost-effective if I were to consider legal representation.

And that reminds me......I actually mentioned this at the dealership when they weren't being very accommodating and forthcoming with me (that I might try going the legal route), and the general manager of the dealership actually said to me, "Don't bother; you'll lose". What a swell guy, huh? Was he actually trying to make me mad and tick me off?!?!

And I know: This particular dealership may not be representative of the Harley-Davidson Motor Company as a whole, but, this was the dealership I dealt with. I am a first-time customer at this dealership, and, a first-time Harley buyer. I let them know this out-loud at the dealership, too. You'd think they'd want to give and leave a good impression. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I've been riding cycles for over 30 years (I'm just about 50 years old), and this is my first Harley. The machine itself seems a quality-built cycle, but, the dealership experience has soured me.

There's this saying.....I'm not sure of the exact quote, but loosely, it's something like this: It can take years to find or get a customer, but only a minute to lose them.

glider: I think I will take your advice and put a post/ thread up in your "bad dealer" section.

Jack Klarich: Yup, no test rides at this dealership. I was at other dealerships here in AZ and they do allow test rides. And guess what? I did contact the Harley-Davidson Motor Company in Milwaukee, Wisconsin via postal mail. In my letter to them, I even tried to be proactive and said to them that I hope they don't just give me the company line of "all dealerships are independently owned and operated". But guess what? Wait for it..........................yup, they gave me the company line...

And Jack.....do you have some "special phone number" for the Motor Company???

lidflipper: That's very tempting...I've been thinking about doing that "sign thing" and hanging out near the dealership.

FerrousBueller: Do I still like the bike? Welllllll......yes, I suppose so. But, every time I look at it, I'm reminded of that dealership and especially that general manager who irritated and irked me to no end with his arrogance and over-confidence.

And you're not clear on whether or not I still have the bike or returned it? Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I tried to return the bike but was unsuccessful in either trying to renegotiate that "UVC fee", or, cited "buyer's remorse" and wanted to return it as I was under the impression that I had "15 days or 500 miles" (I explained about the confusion in regard to the number "15" in my previous post in this thread).

And Ferrous....I know what you're trying to see in that I shouldn't let this one dealership sour my opinion on ALL Harley dealers; it's just difficult for me, that's all.

Here I was, a cycle rider of 30+ years and telling this dealership that I am trying a Harley for the first time in my life, that I'm going to "buy American" (sounds so patriotic, doesn't it?). And what do they do? They mess with me and don't even try to "make things right" when I take exception to their "bogus" UVC fee.

I've checked around with other dealers since then, other Harley dealers (not under the "RideNow" umbrella), and even some Japanese dealerships, and none of them ever heard of this UVC fee. With a previously-owned vehicle, other dealers tell me the only fees they charge in addition to the sticker price is: State sale's tax; plate/ tags/ title; and dealer documentation. That's it.

I was even looking at another American-made brand while shopping a while back, the Victory line of motorcycles. Did I make the right decision? The wrong one? Hmmmmm.....

Pez

I would think you should talk to local magistrate. In my area it is like $50.00 to file a claim against a business and you represent your self. A lawyer is not needed. Its more that the magistrate is a negotiator between the filer of complaint and business..

On the Harley note. This experience has soured you, but it was the foolish way the dealer handled you and not because of the bike. Ferrous has given you some sound advice. So quite possibly the sonner you are able to get this behind you, the better for you and your bike will be...
Just give it a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back